How much water movement is needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am almost done getting everything put togetherand close to mixing the water and purchasing LR. I have a 58gal with 10 gal sump underneith. I am not sure of the actually flow in gph, but my drain tube is 1". This is will fish only for now and eventually maybe some hearty inverts. I am not really planning on coral at this time. With this in mind I am wondering just how much water flow and agitation will be needed? I was planning on at least one powerhead or I am thinking of one of the Hydor Koralia powerheads. Do I need more than this or does anyone have another idea? Thanks

Hey Latitude change, I see you're from the Steel city. Cool. I inherited my dad's 55 gal w/ 10 gal sump, a setup strikingly similar to yours. He had, what was IMO sufficient watermovement.

He had the sump and powerhead in there that moved around ???gph (I have no idea really), in addition to that he had a nice sized marineland HOB cannister filter. Though I'm not sure if the filter was necessary, I like it and it does add quite a bit of movement.

FOWLR don't need much in the way of flow. A 1" drain should be capable of 600gph. What is your return pump?
Also, you want to set up a chaotic (multi-directional) type water flow, not laminar (1 directional). One or two powerheads pointing at each other or both pointing at the center of the front glass should do.

BTW, when I set my tank up 5 years ago I didn't plan any corals either. Now I can;t find emouhg money to buy all the ones I want. I also am on my 3rd light upgrade.

Cmor is right a 1" drain/pipe will allow for upto 600gph of drain. With a tank that size and that kind of drain I would suggest a 700gph pump as your return and a couple of the Hydor Koralias you mentioned. I have a 55g tank (my frag tank) that has 2 Koralia 2s in it along with 2 other PHs and the return pump. As was mentioned flow isn't that big of a deal in a FO tank but it does keep the water circulated through out the tank and that helps with filtration.

I read all these post twice and twice again and it is still all Greek to me - Please don't try to enlighten me - when my fish addiction is full blown and am in need of this knowledge I'll know where to go :p

Back
Top Bottom