How not to come home from vacation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnastix911

Aquarium Advice Freak
Arrived home: 2.5 hours ago
Current mood(s): Petrified, angry, troubled, dumb-struck:confused:
Fish loss: 1 kuhli loach, 4 BN pleco at 1"
Health of other fish: 3 remaining k.l. unknown, remaining pleco appears to have grown but there may be problems lurking....

2.5 hours ago I arrived in my home town where I encountered quite the dilemma, I could only see one fish. Considering that they are either small or like to hide and there are plenty of hiding places in my tank, I didn't take too much to heart. Then, I really started looking and found... no one.... and then, in a moment, I saw an interesting looking bacteria growing in a tubular line, I then proceeded to move the plant hiding the growth. Dead kuhli. I immediately tested the waters and found the levels to be normal for my tank.

Still, it was a bacteria ridden fish. I decided it was nigh time to do a PWC with gravel vac. Found remaining kuhli loaches, however they were not in their normal haunt, their only haunt. I never found more than one of my BN plecos.

I decided perhaps rinsing my eheim classic through tank water would be a good idea, so I popped the top and filled a bucket. I swished it through a few times and then.... BAM. Dozens of small leeches floated to the top- already dead. I put partial amounts of media in wiped any leeches I saw away.

My scalp and arms feel like they are crawling right now just thinking about it.

So I decided to take immediate action and did a more thorough vac clean and created an aquarium salt solution in another bucket and but most of my rocks and plants in it to set while I continued vac'ing and filling the tank.

I then used Jungle Parasite Clear and I will be slowly working up to a 1 tbl per 5 gallons over the next night. I'm not sure if I will go all the way yet- may reduce to 1 tbl per 10 gal because I'm not sure how my remaining fish will react to the salinity.

I think the loach death and most likely the BNs deaths were result of a massive infestation. The BN came in the mail about a week and a half ago and I did notice some leeches in the bag but I thought I had killed them all.... I didn't. They must have just been riddled all over the plecos.

If you have any advice on top of what I have done already- or suggest me to change something I am doing- ANYTHING and EVERYTHING will be much appreciated.

As always,
T(h)anks!

(My head still feels like it is crawling. Ekh.:mad:)

I'm sorry to hear that. What a terrible way to come home.

I think the Jungle med is good to use. I scanned some other fluke/anchor worms/leech meds and they said not for use with scaleless fish. The Jungle Parasite Clear's directions warned not to overdose, so use one tablet per 10 gallons and not 1 tablet per 5 gallons.

Here is what drsfostersmith.com says about this med:

Jungle Labs Parasite Clear

The 1 dose per 5 gal wasn't for the jungle. that was for the salt treatment- it is supposed to make the leeches disconnect from the fish. (I hope :) )

I have used this (Jungle) on my Kuhlis before and they didn't die. They were a little more finicky than normal but there didn't seem to be any long term effects.

They have come out of hiding and are back in their preferred cave (When I reconstructed the tank I made sure to leave that area basically the same). My last BN is now MIA. I'm just plain hoping I didn't manage to hurt him when working on the tank.

Thanks much An t-iasg!

Minor update- BN has reappeared and is just as voracious as ever. No external signs of worms that I could see from the brief moment he was in view.

Sorry to hear about this. Harsh!

I don't have any great advice to add, just some empathy for that crawly feeling when you saw the leeches. I once found 2 full-grown dragonfly-type insects inside my tank and filter, and I have to admit I over-reacted and broke the tank down when I should have been more measured in my response.

Looks like you're getting on top of it, tho.

Good luck.
JD

Oh, please keep us updated as to the progress and what you treat with and how it works. So sorry for your losses....that is a terrible welcoming home.

I'm so sorry to hear about your trip ending on such a crappy note.

Uuuurrrgghhh, leeches. I've been lucky enough never to have to deal with them, and I hope I never have to.

How the heck does your tank get leeches anyway? Do they come in on plants or fish? Yikes! One more thing to worry about....:(

Yea that really sucks. I jsut completely finished my basement with new drywall and made a small laundry room and left the rest as a large room. I didnt get to putting carpet in yet and set up a 210 gal that looks like it was in the wall but was actually moslty in the laundry room so there was easy maintence. Well it was set up for 2 days and i went away for the weekend. Well i came home yesterday and the front glass on the tank exploded all over the place. IM just glad there wasnt carpet yet. I have to replace most of the drywall along the floor.

Well i came home yesterday and the front glass on the tank exploded all over the place. IM just glad there wasnt carpet yet. I have to replace most of the drywall along the floor.

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, but glad it happened before everything was finished...

As far as how they got in? I just got a whole bunch of new plants and some new fish. I also got some planaria and a snail. I really wish I had got known of it but maybe the snail... Alas.

Retaks-That is highly unfortunate. I would have parasites over a spill 210 gallons of water anyday. Drywall is enough of a pain....

Back
Top Bottom