How not to transfer my algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I plan to upgrade my tank this Christmas a question has arisen what to do with my plants? The trouble is, they are all covered with algae that I cannot get a hold of, and I'm afraid to transfer them to a new tank... Hence the question:
If I put the plants into the new, uncycled tank, will the algae die? My reason tells me, that there shouldn't be enough fertilisers in the freshly started tank for algae to grow and they should all be dead :ermm: But then again - how long should I wait with cycling? Or can I start with cycling straight away?
Also - is there anything like "algae seeds" or something that could hook to a filter? If I put an old sponge to seed the new filter, will that transfer the algae?

I'm not concerned about the decorations - there's only one that'll go to a new tank, and I put it into boiling water for a moment or two. I mean, that should kill all the algae, right?

Sorry, no easy way to keep algae out of tanks ....

Algae reproduce by spores (basically seeds, although botanically it is different). These are microscopic and are in the air & water. So even if you start with a sterilized tank, algal spores will still get into your tank from the air & start a colony ...

You can kill off algae from the plants (with dilute beach for example - note this will kill certain plants as well!), but you will still not get rid of the last bit of algae & the algae will regrow under favorable conditions. <I know, I tried beach, H2O2, Excel ... but algae always comes back.>

So really, algae control is possible only by making the condition inhospitable all the time for the algae. There are different ways of doing that in a planted tank, depending on the algae involved, but generally, it involves balancing nutrients, CO2 & light.

So... Does that mean that I need the CO2 system even if I have like five or six plants in order to not to get algae? Ugh... I don't want to go for a plastic plants because it hurt my aesthetic nature, but CO2 is so expensive :(

But what about plants in the uncycled tank - will the algae still have something to feed on, or they just die?

senemedar said:
So... Does that mean that I need the CO2 system even if I have like five or six plants in order to not to get algae? Ugh... I don't want to go for a plastic plants because it hurt my aesthetic nature, but CO2 is so expensive :(

But what about plants in the uncycled tank - will the algae still have something to feed on, or they just die?

Algae feeds on the same things as plants. Have you tried excel? Do a bit of reading and searching about planted tanks and algae control on google.

Mumma.of.two said:
Algae feeds on the same things as plants. Have you tried excel? Do a bit of reading and searching about planted tanks and algae control on google.

What is this "Excel" thing? Can I find it in the UK?
I'll do some reading about the planted tanks when I get a bit more time :)

First off, what kind of algae is this? Depending on that, it may or may not be prudent to treat the algae directly before transferring.

CO2 is only really necessary under high-light conditions. If you have low to moderate light conditions, algae won't be a problem. You will ALWAYS have algae (part of a balanced ecosystem), but it can be quite easy to manage with the right tools.

What is this "Excel" thing? Can I find it in the UK?
I'll do some reading about the planted tanks when I get a bit more time :)

Excel is a glutaraldehyde solution sold by Seachem that acts as both a carbon supplement (helping alleviate the need for CO2) and as a algaecide. There are various analogous products sold by other companies, including Cidex, metricide, and proplant. I think in Europe the most common one is called Easycarb?

aqua_chem said:
First off, what kind of algae is this? Depending on that, it may or may not be prudent to treat the algae directly before transferring.

CO2 is only really necessary under high-light conditions. If you have low to moderate light conditions, algae won't be a problem. You will ALWAYS have algae (part of a balanced ecosystem), but it can be quite easy to manage with the right tools.

I believe it's something called "Staghorn Algae".
As for the lightning-- the new tank will have 2x35W T5 fixture, but I don't think it's gonna be High Output. I don't know whether it's gonna count as High Light or not though :blink:

Who makes it? The fixture that is.

I would highly recommend nuking staghorn or other hair algaes before transfer. This can be done by spot treating with hydrgen peroxide or a dilute bleach soution (more extreme). Also, you can use Excel to kill it in your tank.

No really, it turns pink and dies what I like to think is a slow, painful, and humiliating death.

(Not trying to steal the thread) but will Excel kill off BGA as well?

I'm having a similar issue. I'd love to seed my new ten gal with medium from my 29gal but I simply do not want a mess of BGA in my pretty new tank.

(Not trying to steal the thread) but will Excel kill off BGA as well?

I'm having a similar issue. I'd love to seed my new ten gal with medium from my 29gal but I simply do not want a mess of BGA in my pretty new tank.

No. BGA is a bacteria actually. Erythromycin and other antibiotics will kill it, but as always you run the risk of hurting your BB. Depending on the tank conditions (lights, ferts, etc), either adding nitrate or increasing flow can hamper it.

Yes, that's what I figured since it's bacteria. I'm way too afraid to try antibiotics, so that simply isn't an option. I actually think what caused it is that I added a sword plant and my tank is low light and it's been decaying in there for ages until I actually removed the BGA covered thing into the garbage. I've been turning on my air stone a lot more lately and added two nerites last week and things are actually looking for the better. I was just wondering if perhaps excel could eliminate the problem completely.

Thanks for your advice :)

Sorry for stealing the thread for a moment here.

I'll try blackout before moving the plants to a new tank. Is this Excel stuff safe for the fishes and shrimps?

okapizebra said:
Sorry for stealing the thread for a moment here.

Didn't think you're doing it :) It the same issue after all, isn't it?

Fish safe: yes, absolutely.
Shrimp safe: at the recommended dose, yes. Higher than that, it starts becoming a problem.

Excel is a glutaraldehyde solution sold by Seachem that acts as both a carbon supplement (helping alleviate the need for CO2) and as a algaecide. There are various analogous products sold by other companies, including Cidex, metricide, and proplant. I think in Europe the most common one is called Easycarb?

I've found something:
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Is that it? Do I have this right, that adding this systematically replaces the from-the-bottle systems? At least, until I find a proper CO2 source...

I meant the pressurised bottles with gas inside :D
Sorry for the unclear message :)

Back
Top Bottom