How often do i fertilize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kane2004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a bottle of Jungle Labs, fertilizer, the instructions say how much to use, but not how often to use it, any suggestions??

Soluble potash, 7%
Iron 0.05%
Chelated iron 0.05%

As of right now its a 30G tank with 1 Amazon Sword, a hand full of moneywort, and 1 sword that i have know idea what kind. with 45W of a standard Plant grow bulb.

Want to practice with the small aquarium before taking on a 75 g this summer.

I recommend using Flourish brand plant additives. They are good about specifying quantity and duration. I also don't care much for Jungle products either.

Heh, im out in BFE and dont have a great choice, 1 lfs with in 100 miles, but i will check for something different than jungle. thanx

I've noticed that if you wait until you need to buy a couple things, then it is cheeper to buy online - even with the shipping. And the selection is a lot better too.

Kane, I buy all my fertilizer needs (and most everything else except livestock) online. I use drsfostersmith.com, good service and fast shipping.

I use Flourish excel, nitrogen, and phosphorous supplements. Following the dose recommendations on the bottle, I dose twice a week.

Looking at the ingredients on that junlge fert, it's just iron and potash. iron is a trace nutrient, and I think potash is some form of phosphorus. In other words, it's not a great fert.

Order the flourish line, and some test kits, because you primarily dose ferts after testing so you know whether the plants need it or not. Iron and potassium are too hard to test for, so you basically just dose a couple mL of iron every 2 days, and after a water change dose about 15ppm of potassium.

Thanks everyone, that was better advice than customer service at Jungle labs gave. They said, and i quote, "Whenever you think the plants need more." Wow, very helpful huh. Thanks, I will get what I need online. :D

Back
Top Bottom