How often do you replace plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you ever replace existing plants with new ones for a new look, replace ones that just looked tired, or do you pretty much stick it out with the ones you've planted? I would imagine that every so often, if you rearrange things and get new and different plants, you can have an entirely new look to your aquarium. I haven't had mine long enough yet to be at that point, but I was wondering how you all keep your tanks.

Thanks-D

I rarely replace plants. Stem plants can be trimmed and the cuttings planted and old stems thrown away if needed. Other plants like swords or crypts that have bad leaves can simply be cut off above the base. Sometimes a plant needs to be trashed but most of the time they can be salavaged.

Some people who try a silent cycle on their tanks will replace their stem plants with slower growing rooted plants after the tank is established, but I have a tendency to keep everything that performs well in a tank. Some plants do better in one or the other of my tanks, so that's about all the moving around I do.

For me, it's adding more plants - usually until I can't see even a square centimeter of bare substrate.

Thanks for your replies. I'm still learning about plants and I have a couple of chain swords that most of the leaves have turned brown. They're sending out runners so they're growing, but they just don't look healthy. I was going to cut off the leaves and see what happens, and I was at the LFS Friday so I picked up a couple more. I dose sparingly with Excel & Flourish, but don't use root tabs. My tank is fairly new and I used Eco to start and I also don't vacuum to substrate much. I've attached a picture of my tank. The chain swords in front are the ones that don't look great...

Attachments

• Tank 51713.jpg
    Tank 51713.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 450
Repalcing Aquarium Plants

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you ever replace existing plants with new ones for a new look, replace ones that just looked tired, or do you pretty much stick it out with the ones you've planted? I would imagine that every so often, if you rearrange things and get new and different plants, you can have an entirely new look to your aquarium. I haven't had mine long enough yet to be at that point, but I was wondering how you all keep your tanks.

Thanks-D

Hello Dream...

Nothing living in your tank will go on indefinitely. Even plants, at some point, are no longer able to reproduce and have to be replaced. Using a good fertilizer and dosing it according to instructions, when you do your water changes is important to the life of your plants.

I like to use mostly plants that don't need to be planted or use small plastic pots and put plants in those to make it easy to move them if needed, to take full advantage of the lighting.

Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern and Singapore moss can be attached to a piece of driftwood or lava rock and moved if necessary. Keep in mind, the roots of these plants will eventually grow into the substrate. You'll have to trim the roots in order to move them, but it can be done.

Tank keeping isn't an exact science as far as I can tell. There are always alternatives and sometimes conflicting information.

B

How long have the chain swords been in there? As previously mentioned, ferts including root type will help keep things growing.

I have moved plants out when they are either not growing well (that real estate can be used for something that is growing well) or grow much larger than anticipated (midground plant too close to the front).

The manzanita looks nice. A few clippings of flame moss tied to the branches would have a cool effect.

The only plant that I've truly had to throw out are my amazon swords.. And it's not because it died, it's because the root and rhizome grows out so large that it's actually drawing nutrients away from my other smaller plants? I just use the side shoots to replant new ones.. Other than that, all I have to do is trim my stem plants and split my eriocaulons and blyxa japonicas.

Your chain sword will have some leaves die but it will get better. I have the same in a stock tank.

Thank you for your replies. The Chain Swords have only in the tank about 3 mos. or so. I've seen over and over that Java Fern is easy to grow and whenever someone recommends a plant to me, I Google so I can see what it looks like. I'm surprised that my LFS hasn't mentioned Java Fern to me.

I also looked up the Flame Moss. That would look really cool on the manzanita. I'll have to see if I can find some.

I really like the Chain Swords and they're said to be 'easy" growers, so I'll trim and wait.

One question-mine are already in the little plastic pots with the growing medium. I took them out and removed the medium last time, and then just stuck the plants into the substrate. Should I just keep them in the pots this time?

Thanks again. Hope you're all enjoying the Memorial Day weekend.
D

Does anyone have a lighting recommendation for a 6' 125 gal planted tank. I found an led system I really like but not sure I it's ok ?? It's simulates lightning storms and moonlight and dusk and partially cloudy skies. And has a wide range of color. I don't want to spend the money unless someone says it's an ok light source for a planted tank.

Does anyone have a lighting recommendation for a 6' 125 gal planted tank. I found an led system I really like but not sure I it's ok ?? It's simulates lightning storms and moonlight and dusk and partially cloudy skies. And has a wide range of color. I don't want to spend the money unless someone says it's an ok light source for a planted tank.

You should start your own thread asking but have a link to the exact light your considering.

Really depends on how much you're willing to fork out.. And what kind of plant are you looking to grow.. For a tank that size get ready to spent at least $500 if you're looking to grow high light plant. But for better answer, like the previous poster said, make your own thread. Or else your question will just get lost in here

Thank you. I'm going to do tank maintenance today and plant the new Chains. I hope that they do better than the first ones. I've trimmed almost all of the leaves off of the older plants due to the leaves being brown and looking unhealthy.

Maybe I need to get on a stricter regimen of dosing.

I believe it will just do to acclimating the new ones will know so to speak there environment as the old one are new but not strong enough.

I don't have any crypts, but would like to get some. There are so many great looking plants out there, but I don't think that my 2 LFSs carrying them all. I could be wrong. I have started a list from all of the suggestions I've gotten from this forum.
Thank for your help-D

Back
Top Bottom