How often do you test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
lol I tried tested 2x's since last night.

Well look at it this way, the API Master Kit kit I good for say 160 tests?

That would last you 2 1/2 months, for me it would last like 3 years with 1 test a week.

So the savings for you of you changed the routine would be astonishing, which means more cash for tanks! :D

Scouser said:
Well look at it this way, the API Master Kit kit I good for say 160 tests?

That would last you 2 1/2 months, for me it would last like 3 years with 1 test a week.

So the savings for you of you changed the routine would be astonishing, which means more cash for tanks! :D

I like your way of thinking my friend. It's just bad OCD. I feel like I HAVE to test. I feel like I need to know numbers and everything even with weekly water changes. I'm gonna try though.

Convict2161 said:
I like your way of thinking my friend. It's just bad OCD. I feel like I HAVE to test. I feel like I need to know numbers and everything even with weekly water changes. I'm gonna try though.

I'm like that too, but it got to the point of being bored with the tank and I wasn't enjoying it.

So I stopped testing and just did water changes, now I test after a change just to make sure levels are cool.

The more time you spend doing "boring" things in front of the tank the more likely your brain will link the tank to boredom.

Brains suck.... Don't know why zombies want 'em!

Scouser said:
I'm like that too, but it got to the point of being bored with the tank and I wasn't enjoying it.

So I stopped testing and just did water changes, now I test after a change just to make sure levels are cool.

The more time you spend doing "boring" things in front of the tank the more likely your brain will link the tank to boredom.

Brains suck.... Don't know why zombies want 'em!

I lol'd at the last part :)

Good point though.

Once your established,and doing regular water changes i dont see that testing is all that detrimental,i actually use fresh water salt and a heater,bio max,and zeo-carb in my cannister a large piece of driftwood for culture building and no other additives at all,i am on a well so i dont get all that purifying crap added to my water,once a year i have my water tested and just go with it,i have not lost a fish in a long time,except a convict that was eaten by a hungry jaguar

Megacichlid said:
Once your established,and doing regular water changes i dont see that testing is all that detrimental,i actually use fresh water salt and a heater,bio max,and zeo-carb in my cannister a large piece of driftwood for culture building and no other additives at all,i am on a well so i dont get all that purifying crap added to my water,once a year i have my water tested and just go with it,i have not lost a fish in a long time,except a convict that was eaten by a hungry jaguar

Very interesting. I'm gonna start off easy and start testing maybe every 3 days or so( I my OCD let's me)

I test once every 2 weeks. Something interesting though, my nitrate test kit part went crazy. I was testing my nitrates and it was coming up as like 60 70. Even after I would just do a water change. It didnt even matter what tank I tested, it would just come up the same. So I went and bought a new nitrate part. Got hone and tested it. It came up as 10ppm. The 110 was at 15ppm. But the other test kit was way over.
FYI, it was a Nutrafin liquid test kit

I just moved to a larger tank using cycled filter material. First week after the move, every day. Second week every other day. Third and forth week every third day. After that, once a week unless adding fish, or something looks wrong.

I only test if a suspect a problem, I was testing once a month but with the number of Tanks that I have it was like 1/2 an afternoon to run all the tests on every tank. Now I only test if I think there is a problem. You will get to know your tanks and then you will know when something is not right in a certain tank. I only use salt in my brackish tank (nerite snail breeding), my saltwater tank (of course) and in my killifish tank 1/2 tsp per gal to prevent velvet which my killifish are very prone to but I haven't had an issue knock on wood

For FW, I rarely test unless there is something wrong with my fish or something I can't figure out. With at least 50% pwc and thorough cleaning of my tank weekly, my water stays pretty clean.

Weekly testing is more critical for SW tanks.

Ok so from what I took from this thread is of I have a established tank and the fish look and or appear to be healthy testing isn't really necessary.

I'm gonna start testing a little less often.

Just did a water change (50%) added Prime.

Convict2161 said:
Ok so from what I took from this thread is of I have a established tank and the fish look and or appear to be healthy testing isn't really necessary.

I'm gonna start testing a little less often.

Just did a water change (50%) added Prime.

True, but if you just lost a fish (like you have been) then testing every day twice a day for the next few is very smart

Gboy66 said:
True, but if you just lost a fish (like you have been) then testing every day twice a day for the next few is very smart

IMO once when the fish is found followed but a PWC if needed and maybe the next day if something was off. No need for overkill.

Mumma.of.two said:
IMO once when the fish is found followed but a PWC if needed and maybe the next day if something was off. No need for overkill.

This seems to "normal" for convict and his OCD lol :)

Back
Top Bottom