How often should i be feeding my new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my new fish in their (fishless) cycled home for going on 3 days. I have a school of very small neon tetras and red eye tetras. I also have a few Glofish and a leopard danio.

All of my fish are very young and small and I've read that small juvenile fish need to be fed more often than mature fish.

So far, I did not feed them on their first day, and yesterday I fed them 2 small meals (morning/night). I do not follow the 3-5 minute rule, instead I slowly drop in my sinking pellets and try to make sure all of the fish have gotten a good bite or two.

Am I going about this correctly? I'm thinking I should continue this until the fish have gotten larger and cut down the feeding to once a day and maybe a fasting day on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!

I feed my fish once a day. I've been feeding two of my tanks twice a day in an effort to grow a some rams and guppies more quickly. I'm definitely guilty of overfeeding a bit. I like to make sure all my bottom feeders and scavengers get some food.

I actually read somewhere that feeding five times a day produces the fastest growth. Someone did an experiment with several ponds of guppies, feeding each pond a different number of equally spaced times each day. Five feeding a day produced the best growth with additional feedings providing no additional growth.

I feed my fish once a day. I've been feeding two of my tanks twice a day in an effort to grow a some rams and guppies more quickly. I'm definitely guilty of overfeeding a bit. I like to make sure all my bottom feeders and scavengers get some food.

I actually read somewhere that feeding five times a day produces the fastest growth. Someone did an experiment with several ponds of guppies, feeding each pond a different number of equally spaced times each day. Five feeding a day produced the best growth with additional feedings providing no additional growth.

without overfeeding 1 time every other day is fine.

Back
Top Bottom