How often to water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caykuu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Confession: I haven't water changed my 5.5gal with 25 fry in it for 2 months. BEHOLD.

But I do have a hefty amount of java moss in there.

I just tested for nitrates, and it was probably about 1ppm, if not 0. My fry are all doing great and growing well.

Is it still necessary to water change in a heavily planted tank? I also ask this for my 55gal that is HEAVILY planted, and I haven't water changed that one for almost 4 months, and everyone is fine so far. Not a single death, nitrates are 0. What kinds of other toxins build up over time, if water changes are necessary? This lack of nitrates is making me feel lazy about the water changes, but also nervous that there's something I don't know about.

paytertot said:
It's important to do water changes to refresh the water and the nutrients in it, if nothing else.

+1 that's basically about it. If your plants can keep it in check by themselves then if anything else like stated its to replace nutrients.

I have a friend with a 110g heavy planted. He also does water changes about every 3 months and I been grilling him these past few months. He texts me about 2 weeks ago "you were right dude the fish look so much more active and happy after more frequent water changes"

There are also other compounds (pheromones primarily) besides nitrate to remove that plants don't affect. A build up of these can affect growth over a long enough period. Water changes are even more important in fry tanks IME.

Sound great, thanks for the info guys. Water changing time!

caykuu said:
Confession: I haven't water changed my 5.5gal with 25 fry in it for 2 months. BEHOLD.

But I do have a hefty amount of java moss in there.

I just tested for nitrates, and it was probably about 1ppm, if not 0. My fry are all doing great and growing well.

Is it still necessary to water change in a heavily planted tank? I also ask this for my 55gal that is HEAVILY planted, and I haven't water changed that one for almost 4 months, and everyone is fine so far. Not a single death, nitrates are 0. What kinds of other toxins build up over time, if water changes are necessary? This lack of nitrates is making me feel lazy about the water changes, but also nervous that there's something I don't know about.

Congrats on the lack of water changes alot of people say 10 20 40% water change every 1 2 3 4 weeks walstead mentioned this that water changes can be minimize with heavily planted tanks topping off evaporation replenishes some nutrients in the water. It generally your call what works for some doesnt work for everyone like my water the ph is 8 and very hard but over time when i check the tank after no water changes for 5 wks the ph is 7.2 mildly hard so to maintain the alkalinity i give a little water change. The guppies and rainbows like the hard water.

As HN1 has already stated, frequent water changes are vital to fry tanks. Growth inhibiting hormones build up very quickly in fry tanks. You will see better growth in your fry if you perform more frequent water changes.

Do not focus solely on nitrates or nitrites as there are many many other benefits to doing frequent water changes :)

Back
Top Bottom