How Often? WC for 15G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RISEANDFLOAT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How often and how much of a water change should I be doing with my 15G tank? The tank has been setup since January 11 and I have not done a water change yet. I added two clowns and a cleaner shrimp to the tank after exactly one month and everything is doing fine. Also, how often should I change the cartridges in my penguin (Penguin 150) filter? I have changed a cartridge since its been setup but only once. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

10-15% PWC's every week or two is about standard. It really depends on your tanks bio-load, animals, etc. Mechanical filtration, ie floss, should be cleaned/replaced approx. weekly to avoid excessive nutrients accumulating in the tank like PO4, NO3. Carbon is useless after about 7 days, and tends to collect dirt and detritus after that, and causes the same issues as mechanical filtration. Washing the cartridges weekly, and adding a new one once or twice a month would be ideal.

I agree with Mike here...PWCs are very important especially in a tank that small! I think doing a PWC every week would be a good idea. It is easy for a tank that small to foul quickly.

You have 2 fish that will get to about 4" each (assuming they are Percs or False Percs, larger if they are a different type of clown) so you have a realtively heavy bioload for your tank. Have you been testing the water? Ammonia, Nitrate, nitrite ect? What are you doing about evaporation? Topping off with FW, RO/DI water or tap? How much LR do you have in the tank?

They are false perculas. I have not tested the water for anything in about a week as everything is set and appears to be doing fine. For evaporation, I top off with distilled water daily that I get from Wal-Mart. I have approximately fifteen pounds of live rock in the tank.

The clowns as of right now are probably around and inch and a half and I have talked to a few people that say it takes them around 2-4 years to achieve full growth.

So I should do about 10% water changes weekly, clean my cartridges weekly, and replace them 1-2 times a month.

I appreciate everybody's help on this. Thanks.

I always suggest 10-15% every week. Esp. in a small tank that will be less forgiving on any problems you have.

Back
Top Bottom