How quickly do i replace bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys my corals are bleaching and its cause my lights are old. So today im buying more bulbs but i need to know how quickly i should replace them. A bulb every week? Also, which ones do i replace first/last seeing as i'm buying a suggested assortment

I wouldn't see any problem with just replacing all the bulbs at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't see any problem with just replacing all the bulbs at once.
Hahah sorry but i'm nearly sure that isnt the correct method Lol see how many posts i have? No offence but I've done my share of helping

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's agree to disagree on how much post count weighs into experience :).

I think you are going down the right path, Gboy... replacing a bulb every 5-7 days will lower the overall stress to the system, and in less than a month you'll have all new lighting.

Alternatively, a lot of folks will use window screens on top of the tank to shade the tank, replace all bulbs at once and then remove a layer of screen every few days to allow a ramp up or break in period for the coral.

Let's agree to disagree on how much post count weighs into experience :). I think you are going down the right path, Gboy... replacing a bulb every 5-7 days will lower the overall stress to the system, and in less than a month you'll have all new lighting. Alternatively, a lot of folks will use window screens on top of the tank to shade the tank, replace all bulbs at once and then remove a layer of screen every few days to allow a ramp up or break in period for the coral.

Nice to see you again Fort and thank you so much for the info

No prob, let us know how it goes... and post a pic of the reef if you guys get a sec... or wait till the new lights take hold and grab a pic then!

No prob, let us know how it goes... and post a pic of the reef if you guys get a sec... or wait till the new lights take hold and grab a pic then!

I think i'll wait a bit...the tank isnt at it's prime right now lol. A lot has changed though

Back
Top Bottom