how resilient are fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
How resilient can fish be? I just went through a newbie mistake a few weeks ago by adding to many fish at one time. I started with 8 now I'm down to 4...they had ich and fin rot and 3 of them are back to there oldselves but one is looking really skinny, won't eat and hides a lot...but to my surprise every morning when I turn on the light the fish is still alive after at least a week of being Like this

Some more then others. Some fish are very hardy and others are delicate in nature. For example in my experience Convict Cichlid's are extremely hardy.

Is your tank cycled or did you just have issues with them being sick? I went through a tough time battling columnaris a while back and a bunch bounced back after losing over 20+ fish.

Convict2161 said:
Some more then others. Some fish are very hardy and others are delicate in nature. For example in my experience Convict Cichlid's are extremely hardy.

Is your tank cycled or did you just have issues with them being sick? I went through a tough time battling columnaris a while back and a bunch bounced back after losing over 20+ fish.

Well now its almost cycled....I was dumb and thought after having the tank setup for awhile it was ready...I wasn't prepared...didn't have water testing kits....I lost 3 fish within a few days and then one to sickness and this skinny one isn't looking too good but we'll see...these fish have managed to get through my stupidity and make it through a fish in cycle...almost

Hardy Fish

How resilient can fish be? I just went through a newbie mistake a few weeks ago by adding to many fish at one time. I started with 8 now I'm down to 4...they had ich and fin rot and 3 of them are back to there oldselves but one is looking really skinny, won't eat and hides a lot...but to my surprise every morning when I turn on the light the fish is still alive after at least a week of being Like this

Hello lyric...

I've found "Livebearers" like Guppys and Platys are pretty tough and Zebra Danios are a hardy "Egglayer". Not many are tolerant of poor water conditions, so it's important to test your tank water daily and if you have a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the water, then remove and replace a minimum of 25 percent of the tank water.

Once the tank cycles, then a weekly change of half the tank volume will guarantee stable water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

Yeah...I've been changing some of the water pretty much every day....I'm waiting for my nitrite test in the mail, they only had the single tests and not the whole master test kit at my store At the time...I've got the ammonia test, ph and nitrate...I'm seeing between .25 and .50 on the ammonia and just started seeing nitrates for a few days

Let's just put it this way my platies , guppies, dwarf Gouramis, german blue rams, panda Cories, RCS and amano shrimp, otos, and cardinal tetra are currently getting through a 5ppm nitrite problem . So my fish seem to be quite tough.

It really comes down to a lot of factors.

Where your fish were sick and dealing with a cycling tank it would make them more at risk. Stress and other factors can lower the immune system and make things that a fish would normally get through deadly.

Also just because a fish may bounce through something doesn't mean their isn't long term damage that may occur. A fish that has toughed it out through a lot may live through a hard time but it's like may be shortened because of it.

tamtam said:
It really comes down to a lot of factors.

Where your fish were sick and dealing with a cycling tank it would make them more at risk. Stress and other factors can lower the immune system and make things that a fish would normally get through deadly.

Also just because a fish may bounce through something doesn't mean their isn't long term damage that may occur. A fish that has toughed it out through a lot may live through a hard time but it's like may be shortened because of it.

Yeah tamtam I know that if you're referring to me on the last part. I was just saying how well they are doing so far.

Yeah tamtam I know that if you're referring to me on the last part. I was just saying how well they are doing so far.

oh, not at all. I actually hadn't read any of the comments. lol. Sorry. I was just speaking generally.

Back
Top Bottom