How should I filter a long narrow tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richieh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m currently building a fish tank that will have a weird dime sion, 71 inches long, 6 inches wide, 8 inches tall.
As you can tell from the dimensions, the tank will have a long and narrow shape, also shallow. I’ll be housing a betta, a school of corys, snails, shrimps, and maybe some rasboras if the space allows. It will be heavily planted.
How should I filter a tank with this shape. I need to distribute water throughout the full length of the tank while not making the current too strong for my betta.
Should I get a cannister filter with the intake on one end of the tank, and the output on the other end, distributed by a 20 inch spray bar. Do you think this setup will be sufficient?

The spray bar will be 20 inches long but placed on the opposite side of the intake. I’m hoping the long spray bar length will distribute the water more evenly, resulting in a weaker current, suitable for the betta. Not sure if it will work though as I haven’t setup the tank yet.

It will be placed along the back wall of the tank, not the side. Hahaha, I see why you’re confused now. Do you think it will work?

Yes that would work but I think makeing like a river and going Down one 6 inch side to the other would be better maybe. But whatever you do make sure to have like a couple spots where water flow is minimal for the Betta to hang out by basically utilizing plants like we do to block wind near our house.

Back
Top Bottom