How small is too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a bichir and he is going into my 75g in the next 2 weeks or so. And i dont want to get rid of him but i want small community fish. But the thing is as you know too small = lunch. So i was gonna ask what is too small for him to be able to get in his mouth. He is 8 inches now but soon he will be 12 inches. So what do you guys think? I was thinking about making a stock list for my 75g and letting you guys evaluate it but have no time right now.

senegalus4.jpg

Above is the species i have. It is a senegal bichir. My dream bichir which i have no space for gets 36"-39" long. I am not worried about it as i can just shoot for fish that i know he cant eat but i want to see how small i can go. It might be a trial and error kind of thing.

Hey man.. If he's 8" now he's going to grow fairly slow till around 10". They very rarely get to 12" in home aquaria. I'd expect 10-11" if your lucky.

As for the tank mates. What about something like silver dollars? They have a wide body which would make it harder for the bichir to eat. Just guessing I'd say anything over 2" would be safe but it's really going to depend on the body shape.

Edit: Just saw you said "small" community fish. I really like congo tetra's, what about something like that.

Back
Top Bottom