How to add fish...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first tank (20gal) and it is currently cycled, thanks very much to the fishless cycle guide, I just want to make sure when I add fish I do it right and don't make a mistake. :) Just some advice thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Any websites/links or just a answer/info will help.

So lets go with the noob question here and let me ask...
How do you Add new fish to a aquarium? :ermm:

Thanks for the help!
:thanks:

Thanks the site really helped, added a 4 zebra danios and ghost shrimp and they seem to have like the change. I did the bag change, but for my next fish I will deffiently try the drip! Would be alot easier and safer. :D

Thanks Again!

And add fish slowly as well. make sure your biofilter can handle the new fish and then you can add a few more.

And add fish slowly as well. make sure your biofilter can handle the new fish and then you can add a few more.

Yep thats what I plan on doing, in a week or so as everything goes well for awhile ill be adding alittle more. And in a few weeks I should be set. :)

Thanks!

Andy91 said:
Yep thats what I plan on doing, in a week or so as everything goes well for awhile ill be adding alittle more. And in a few weeks I should be set. :)

Thanks!

Actually...if you did a fishless cycle at 4ppm...you can add a large % of your fish all at once...assuming they are peaceful, non-territorial fish. Being able to stock your tank heavily when your cycle is done is one of the benefits of doing a fishless cycle. Thats why it's done at such a high ppm of ammonia...to prepare the tank for a full bio-load. If you just finished cycling...your bio-filter is as strong as it will ever be.

Actually...if you did a fishless cycle at 4ppm...you can add a large % of your fish all at once...assuming they are peaceful, non-territorial fish. Being able to stock your tank heavily when your cycle is done is one of the benefits of doing a fishless cycle. Thats why it's done at such a high ppm of ammonia...to prepare the tank for a full bio-load. If you just finished cycling...your bio-filter is as strong as it will ever be.

Wow! I really was sketchy about it. But thats pretty cool and exciting! I plan on adding a few more today so should be about 40% - 50% stocked im glad that I can do this. The Fishless cycle was great and worked very well. :D

Thanks alot!

So I saw this thread and i thought I would share this story lol

This guy I know said he doesn't Acclimate his fish he just dumps them in. Because every fish he has acclimated has always died and every fish he just put right in is alive lol. Just thought I would share

Actually...if you did a fishless cycle at 4ppm...you can add a large % of your fish all at once...

I did that...added 21 fish at once in my tank and not a bit of issue as far as ammonia or nitrites.

Nubster said:
I did that...added 21 fish at once in my tank and not a bit of issue as far as ammonia or nitrites.

Yeah, I've recommended to dozens of people that stocking near to capacity (depending on the species) in a freshly cycled tank is one of the purposes of fishless cycling...and I've never once heard of an issue with toxin spikes associated with it.

Again, this is only in the case of a FISHLESS cycle at 4ppm, never in a fish-in situation or cycling at low levels of ammonia. If a bio-filter can chew through 4ppm in 24 hours...there's no way a reasonably stocked tank will produce more than that level. Plus, the fish produce a small steady stream of ammonia as opposed to suddenly dumping in 4ppm all at once. The bacteria wont blink an eye.

eco23 said:
Yeah, I've recommended to dozens of people that stocking near to capacity (depending on the species) in a freshly cycled tank is one of the purposes of fishless cycling...and I've never once heard of an issue with toxin spikes associated with it.

Again, this is only in the case of a FISHLESS cycle at 4ppm, never in a fish-in situation or cycling at low levels of ammonia. If a bio-filter can chew through 4ppm in 24 hours...there's no way a reasonably stocked tank will produce more than that level. Plus, the fish produce a small steady stream of ammonia as opposed to suddenly dumping in 4ppm all at once. The bacteria wont blink an eye.

I actually do that, I had my tank up and then moved it. let it sit for 3 months and now my 10 gallon can hold close to 20 fish and survive, go right into the tank, no problems. And dont have ammonia nitrite problems. Its true that done right, your tank can have a high level of self sustainability.

Back
Top Bottom