How to Adjust Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slappy Kincaid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I picked up a new Fluval 3.0 Led with all kinds of fancy adjustable features, but I'm not sure how to get the light intensity dialed in so that my plants grow without an algae explosion. I could use some advice on the best approach.

30 gal tank
EZ Green liquid fertilizer
CO2
ADA aquasoil
Cannister filter

carpet plants (monte carlo and dwarf hairgrass), java moss, water sprite, pearl weed, vallisneria

I've programmed my Fluval light to have a slow "sunrise" over a few hours, set it for 60% for the part of the day when I'm working, bump it up to 100% for the evenings when i'm in the same room, and then a slow "sunset" period.
It's light enough that I can enjoy it and help the plants, but enough that the algae mostly stays in check.

My set up on my fluval aquasky on a low tech planted tank set up. Works fine. 5 hours on max white, but the tank is clearly illuminated between 10 in the morning and 11 at night.20201127_160217.jpg

I find having a mid day lights down time helps being able to keep lights on longer without having an algae bloom

I went with the lighting setup that starfish615 posted. Here's hoping the siesta in the middle of the day keeps the algae down

I haven't acquired a programmable fluval light yet. Does the light already have a 24/7 default mode? I recently set my Finnex to the 24/7 default mode. The instructional youtube video for finnex says it creates the best possible light for most plants. I figure if I customize my settings it will be too much or too little intensity thus creating algae outbreaks. I'm wondering what would be the best time to program the CO2 to turn on and off? Its currently set for 2hrs before the white light reaches 100% intensity.
So I picked up a new Fluval 3.0 Led with all kinds of fancy adjustable features, but I'm not sure how to get the light intensity dialed in so that my plants grow without an algae explosion. I could use some advice on the best approach.

30 gal tank
EZ Green liquid fertilizer
CO2
ADA aquasoil
Cannister filter

carpet plants (monte carlo and dwarf hairgrass), java moss, water sprite, pearl weed, vallisneria

My fluval aquasky has presets for 24/7 Colour Boost and Plant Boost. I believe the fluval plant 3.0 comes with presets for Planted, Tropical River, and Lake Malawi.

I haven't acquired a programmable fluval light yet. Does the light already have a 24/7 default mode? I recently set my Finnex to the 24/7 default mode. The instructional youtube video for finnex says it creates the best possible light for most plants. I figure if I customize my settings it will be too much or too little intensity thus creating algae outbreaks. I'm wondering what would be the best time to program the CO2 to turn on and off? Its currently set for 2hrs before the white light reaches 100% intensity.
The Finnex 24/7 pre-set will create quite a bit of algae. Might want to play with the settings to avoid having them on for 24 hours. I have mine set for 12 hours with a steady increase to midday and a steady decrease after 6.

I'll still probably play a little bit because there is some filamentous algae growing at the moment.

It's been a few days on the default mode. For the last 10 months the light was set on max from 2-10pm. Plants grew quickly, but so did algae. Kinda lame I didnt play around with the settings sooner. I couldn't see the tank until 2pm, then the fish would get smacked with maximum intensity light. Right now gradual sunrise mode is on and its glorious. It's 7am and I can see the tank with my coffee. I'm sure you're right and I'll need to dial it down with a longer blackout period after a week of trial.
The Finnex 24/7 pre-set will create quite a bit of algae. Might want to play with the settings to avoid having them on for 24 hours. I have mine set for 12 hours with a steady increase to midday and a steady decrease after 6.

I'll still probably play a little bit because there is some filamentous algae growing at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom