How to attach plants to rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slappy Kincaid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some river stones (very smooth) with the intention of attaching my small Java ferns to them--the small ones are plants that propagated from the initial large one I bought.

I read that the best thing to do is to use cotton thread to attach them to rocks or driftwood, but the thread is almost impossible to work with and it slips off the rocks so my plant drifts away within a couple days.

How do I attach these things?

I found it impossible to attach java to smooth rock. I glued moss to them instead. Rough porous rock or wood is easier.

Ive attached java fern to smooth rocks using superglue, look for cyanoacrylate on the label. I agree that rough porous rocks are easier though. Perhaps the best solution would be to tie your java ferns to plant weights and then hide the weight behind your river stones.

If you are looking for plants that grow on wood and rocks, you are in the right spot. But how do you actually attach these plants so that they do not float away or get loose in other ways. There are several options for this.

You can use aquarium glue to attach but just use a little bit so avoid damage to the plant.

Rubber bands, fishing line or aquarium glue.

Honestly, with Java ferns you could probably just bury a few roots under the rock and it would attach itself eventually. Java ferns are not picky.

Back
Top Bottom