How to begin a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a 55 gal tank and is still cycling. How would I go about on setting it up for a planted aquarium ( lights, substrate etc ). And are there only certain fish that can live in planted conditions?

LdIZzY said:
I just got a 55 gal tank and is still cycling. How would I go about on setting it up for a planted aquarium ( lights, substrate etc ). And are there only certain fish that can live in planted conditions?

Hi there,
I recommend either Eco-Complete or Flourite substrate with root tabs if you wanted swords, some T5 HOs or CFLs, some ferts, liquid (I like the Flourish brand) dry or DIY is your choice, and CO2, you could do liquid, or buy a CO2 system, which although expensive is good in the long run (currently I'm saving up my precious pennies for one of those). As far as fish most are plant-friendly, save for some mbunas and silver dollars or any other vegetarian fish. Hope this helped! :)

Or you can pick up a bottle of flourish and be done with it. Assuming you can manage at least low light, thats all you'll need.

I still dont see why you would advise getting $400-500 worth of a high tech setup when you can do a lot of with low light in normal gravel... The OP didnt say he wanted high tech. Theres a plethora of nice low light plants that would do just fine...

So just buying a bottle of flourish will do the job? I can get regular gravel and just normal Florissant lights and everything sound be good considering that I get the low light plants?

Just a simple one for now. I want to put bumble bee puffers in it.

Would black ruby barbs go well with a planted tank? I heard that they prefer a planted surrounding but I've also heard they can ruin it too..?

Back
Top Bottom