How to clean sump plumbing from salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonicsDC25

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now, I just got all the plumbing re-connected and glued from an acrylic tank I just bought, but the one thing I'm worried about is that inside the PVC pipes, there's some salt residue from the old system that the previous owner had for his saltwater tank. I'm going to be running a cichlid tank (African to be exact) and was wondering if there was a way to flush out all the salt? Maybe have the tank running then do a water change, then re-fill the tank and put the fish in? Any help or tips are appreciated, thanks!

Your plan of hooking it up to the tank to flush the system sounds fine. Also, it will allow you check for leaks, test the flow rate, and "discover" any gotchas before you get inhabitants in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could you run some very hot water through the system for a bit? There is a hookup on the bottom of your hot water heater.. maybe just run a hose?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Run vinegar through it. That will dissolve the residual calcium carbonate. Thoroughly rinse it with tap water when finished.

The tank is up and running after leak testing it and also to do a 95% water change, then had to push the 140g against the wall. Going to check the pH in a bit and if it's around 8-8.2, then I'll leave it at that since I'm having an african cichlid tank :). Thanks for the input as well everyone!

Back
Top Bottom