How to convince my dad to let me get a tank at his house??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would show him videos of some of the bigger fish (like arowanas and gar) eating stuff. From what I have seen, non-fish guys tend to get interested when they see an arowana take out a bullfrog in one bite. Or have him watch River Monsters?

You could take him to a fish store and show him some of the cichlids. They are rather interactive and have that masculine look to them. Something like a green terror or an oscar might catch his attention.

Or you could swap parents with me. Mine are trying to bribe me to move back in with them by allowing me to get more tanks, a dog, and more lizards.

Tigroscr said:
Lol!! I have two dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a chinchilla and 8 tanks including my hermit crabs. I love all my animals but trust me when I say this my fish are definitely the easiest of all my animals to care for!! You don't have to worry about 100's of dollars of vet bills and yearly shots licenses and tags every year! Plus fish can't chew up your favorite comforter or shoes or wake you up in the middle of the night barfing cuz they got into something they shouldn't have!! I wouldn't trade any of my animals I love them all and I'm glad I have them but IMO my fish are the easiest to care for. :)

Good point :)

You could go at it from the science / educational angle. Talk to him about what you have learned about water chemistry, nitrate cycle, biology... tell him about all the knowledge you've gained / are gaining with keeping fish. Parents love that stuff! You could even go as far as getting really technical and detailed, bore him with the details (all the while sounding passionate about it), and eventually he might cave!

If you accept to have great grades he will be cooperative. If you already have good grades, then pour that on the table. And for adult, the best way to convince someone is do your research. Check for price, compatible fish and The process. Then when its all done, show it to him, not before. Don't even talk about it anymore. Use aquarium are not that expensive. Show it to him when he is happy and has time to look true you your research.

Tigroscr said:
Lol!! I have two dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a chinchilla and 8 tanks including my hermit crabs. I love all my animals but trust me when I say this my fish are definitely the easiest of all my animals to care for!! You don't have to worry about 100's of dollars of vet bills and yearly shots licenses and tags every year! Plus fish can't chew up your favorite comforter or shoes or wake you up in the middle of the night barfing cuz they got into something they shouldn't have!! I wouldn't trade any of my animals I love them all and I'm glad I have them but IMO my fish are the easiest to care for. :)

Just because its easier and cheaper doesnt mean its better. I love fish, i belong to this website after all, that should say something but i think of fish as a hobby and dogs as family.

If you are old enough to drive tell him you want a 1965 mustang with a 289 in it but will settle of the fish tank.

But my dad doesn't want me to have one at his house because of the reasons above

If your father doesn't want a fish tank at his house, you need to respect that.

I have a stepson who spends most of his time at his mother's because she's the primary. If he wanted a fish tank at our house, I know that I would spend my time taking care of it because he's not there enough.

If you are old enough to drive tell him you want a 1965 mustang with a 289 in it but will settle of the fish tank.

Ha! Nice one.

Also, piggybacking on the first reply, regarding the logic of "boring"; It also stands to reason that you could gain some leverage on that one with, "Boring? Really? Is that why the Monterey Bay Aquarium pulls in about $45,000,000 per year, on admission alone?"

Mind you, that might also get you grounded until you're 30.

<-- handing out reality pills to those who are comparing world-class aquariums in major cities with a home fish tank....... :hide:

Pros: no feathers, fur, seeds, food all over the house. No cat box to clean, no poop to scoop. No squawking, screeching, meowing or barking. No stinky smells.
Cons: can't cuddle a fish.

Homer8 said:
Just because its easier and cheaper doesnt mean its better. I love fish, i belong to this website after all, that should say something but i think of fish as a hobby and dogs as family.

Lol! I never meant that fish were better! You totally misunderstood me! With all my many years of caring for animals and having all different kinds of pets they are definitely IMO the easiest and least expensive!! Like I said before I wouldn't trade any of my animals for all the tea in china, I LOVE them all, dogs being my favorite!! And all my animals live at my house except for my horse who's at my grandma's in the country!! and they're all part of the family! I was just pointing out the pros in keeping fish vs. other animals especially for younger people who are students and live in dorms or small apartments and live on a tight budget and who otherwise might not be able to have pets. :)

I tend to spend so much on fish lol. Im always getting a weird fish with different requirements.
See if you dad will let you do a saltwater tank

<-- handing out reality pills to those who are comparing world-class aquariums in major cities with a home fish tank....... :hide:

Simply a counter argument to the notion of "boring." Not an actual, linear comparison.

Boring is his own opinion, tell him your interest in the fish and how much you have to know about biology, chemistry, etc to maintain it. Explain that it is a responsibility that you have to do and it builds a good work ethic. ;)

Show him the research you know and that you are serious about it. I had to right about 15-20 pages worth of essays and I only have 1 thirty gallon. I wasn't exaggerating either lol. If they know your serious about it, that might change their minds.

I think I might have him convinced... He asks me where I go to buy fish and has been asking a lot of fish related questions.

maxwellag said:
I think I might have him convinced... He asks me where I go to buy fish and has been asking a lot of fish related questions.

Good jobb!!

Great! Now don't torture him with questions. I tend to do that from time to time lol.. For example, I'm getting corals soon and asked when. We didn't come up with a conclusion so I asked what was happening with it and they got annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom