How to cycle a tank with raw shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd go with pure ammonia over shrimp if the option was available. With ammonia you know how much you are dosing and can adjust as needed. Not sure if Harris Teeter grocery stores are in your locale, but that's where you can get it (also at Ace Hardware).

If you do go with shrimp, put it in a nylon bag. If will make removal as cleanup easier.

I'd go with pure ammonia over shrimp if the option was available. With ammonia you know how much you are dosing and can adjust as needed. Not sure if Harris Teeter grocery stores are in your locale, but that's where you can get it (also at Ace Hardware).

If you do go with shrimp, put it in a nylon bag. If will make removal as cleanup easier.

Yeah we hav harris teeter, i already got two pieces of raw shrimp, no vains or shell. Another newbish Q i never learned. Should i wait to add the BB before or after i add the conditioner? And should i cut holes in the bag or just leave it in the bag floating in the water? Thanks

Yeah we hav harris teeter, i already got two pieces of raw shrimp, no vains or shell. Another newbish Q i never learned. Should i wait to add the BB before or after i add the conditioner? And should i cut holes in the bag or just leave it in the bag floating in the water? Thanks

I'd add the conditioner before the BB. Any mesh bag that allows water to flow through it should be fine. Panty hose works. You can position it near the outflow of your filter to maximize ammonia distribution.

I'd add the conditioner before the BB. Any mesh bag that allows water to flow through it should be fine. Panty hose works. You can position it near the outflow of your filter to maximize ammonia distribution.

Alright, how do you prepare the shrimp? Or do you just put them in?

Alright, how do you prepare the shrimp? Or do you just put them in?

Not sure if you have to do anything to it. I've personally never used it.

The reason I prefer liquid ammonia is that once you figure out how much to use, you can add the necessary amount to achieve 2, 3, or 4 ppm ammonia. For instance once the BB can process a given amount of ammonia in 24 hours, you can redose it to keep the cycle going. Or if you have too much ammonia and/or nitrite (which could stall a cycle), you can reduce the amount of ammonia to add accordingly.

just put the shrimp in a filter bag or pantyhose and throw it in the tank and check your ammonia every week.

Back
Top Bottom