how to determine sex of guppys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
anyone know when a person is supposed to be able to determine the sex of guppies? also, at what point am i supposed to separate the males and females?

thanks

Feeder guppies or the more exotic/colorful types?

Also, once you figure out exactly what species you have, I believe the males are usually the more colorful ones.

exotics.

the less colorful guppies are going to be sacrificed to the oscar/clown knife/bumblebee cat gods. the more colorful ones i want to separate out accordingly.

In addition to the colors being brither and more amazing on the males and the tails being longer and flowier, male guppys have a differnt anal fin than females. It's called a gonopodium. This is how they mate with the female. Female's anal fins are more triangular, so if all else fails, you can try sexing the guppys this way.

In plain laymans terms (I've gone through the guppy breeding thing myself), you look at two things - both are on the rear underside of the stomach.

Young males develop a special fin (previous post refered to it as a gonopodium). It looks like a long stick that floats backwards below/behind their stomach towards the tail fin.
The young females have a more translucent triangle fin in that position, which looks like a regular fish fin.

The second thing to look at is females have a "gravid spot" which is dark colored (dark gray to black). You can see it if you are angled behind and below the guppy - it will be a black spot on the ridge of their stomach.

Back
Top Bottom