how to do brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm contemplating setting up my spare 2ft tank as a brackish set up but it's completely new territory for me. How much different that freshwater is it to set up and run? Also is it a special kind of salt you add and do the water parameters change atall from the regular? I've got two fw tanks so I 'sort of' know what I'm doing lol

I think the tank can be any size. And I think you use rock salt...I remember reading you obviously don't use table salt but "aquarium" salt isn't ideal either? Honestly I don't know much about brackish, but I was looking into it a few weeks back.

I'm honestly more curious about what you're going to stock in the tank. I really wanted Bubble-bee gobies and a puffer.

That article was my main guide when I was setting up my brackish tank, very helpful. I use marine salt mix to mix up my water and a hydrometer to measure my specific gravity. Looking into getting a refractometer when I can spare the cash since I will be converting to full marine in a year or so, but since most brackish fish, including my gsp's, do fine with slight swings in salinity I don't need the extra precision. Be sure to know the range of salinity the fish you want needs and stick to that. Some need water closer to fresh and others need closer to full marine, and some have changing needs as they get older.
As for other water parameters it depends on the species you want to keep but many brackish fish like harder water and relatively high pH. My tank runs at about 8.2 pH. Crushed coral in the filter or substrate can help with buffering the pH and hardness. Hope this helps and welcome to the world of brackish fishkeeping!

Back
Top Bottom