How to Euthanize Dying Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquena

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no clove oil. My platy is slowly wasting away and dying. How can I painlessly euthanize her? I'm so sad. I've tried posting for help to treat her, but no responses...

There is a sticky on the unhealthy fish section of the forum detailing the various methods. I would read it and see what sounds best for you. I would think the freezing water method would probably be best if you don't have clove oil. Freeze a bowl of water until it is slushy with ice and put the fish into it. The sudden temperature shock will cause a quick death.

It always sucks having to put a fish (or any pet) down. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you. Did not know about the sticky. Even after prying her off the filter intake with my bare hands, I put her in the breeder box and she is still Stable. I wish I could figure out how to rehabilitate her. I can't put her down now that she is still trying to live....frustrated. Need help.

I put her in a 10 gallon hospital. Salt, foam bubble filter. Have not seen her eat, but she seems to be improving, more active, does not appear to look so emaciated. Not sure where we are at.

Since I have no access to clove oil, if I have to euthanize any fish, I dunk them in rubbing alcohol. They pass quickly.

I would defiantly do the freezing water method, that's what I had to do. My fish passed almost instantaneously.

Back
Top Bottom