How to feed shellfish to other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a porcupine puffer, harlequin tusk, Antennata lion fish, and dwarf golden eel. I've been told before that mussels, oysters, and clams are good for them.

How do I go about feeding these to the fish? Do I just go to the grocery store or fish store and buy them? Do I just plunk them into the tank? Do I pry them open?

It depends on how big your fish are. A bigger puffer will get through a slightly opened shell. The others don't really do that though. So taking them out of the shell is a good idea. I have similar fish, and get oysters or crab meat from the grocery store. The eel may have to be fed directly though as those other fish will likely eat everything before the eel even has a chance.

Out of the shell or on the 1/2 shell? Clams (when I eat steamers, lol) usually stick to 1/2 the shell. I'll have to pick some up and experiment.

I buy out of the shell for most of the fish. I do buy a single clam for the puffer however, and slightly open it so my puffer can tear it apart and get to the meat. And keep his teeth taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom