how to feed with frozen beef hart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jseiverd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey im new here just sighned up ive been keeping fish for about 5 months now and have really gotten into it. I have always wondered what was the best way to feed with the frozen beefheart cubes.it seems when i thaw them they turn into lots of little bits and alot goes uneaten and dirtys my tank and if i keep em frozen my oscars spit them out alot im sure its really cold lol will it being frozen hurt them

Have you tried to defrost them a bit? It should still stay in a cube form but much softer.

If you have tried that and your oscars are still spitting it out, no point in trying to force them to eat it.

i use frozen bloodworms for my cichlids and i usually hold it i8n the tank watrer for a minute then let it go as it defrosts and starts to break up ..

When I had FW fish I would buy fresh beef heart, trim the fat and tough parts. Then run it in a food processor until it was a size my fish could eat. Fill freezer bags and flatten it so it would be easy to break off any size I needed. When it's defrosted it's not too fine of mushy. You may need to hunt a grocery store or a butcher shop that still sells it.

I use these for my Oscar all the time. I put a small amount of Aquarium Water in a small glass, and then drop in the frozen cube, it usually thaws enough, due to the warm water, in a short time and then I plop it in the water. My Oscar, Chumly, is a hog, lol, but he generally only eats off the top of the water or if something is floating down and he doesn't have to work hard for it. The beef usually stays in a cube shape, the shrimp separate more, I sometimes use a toothpick to loosen it up or split it into 2 servings.
Chum always puts as much in his mouth as he can possibly get, and inevitably a lot of it comes back out, broken up, as he tries to swallow it all. This works well for my tank because it's those pieces that are then the right size for my parrot and convict as well as my Placo and Raphael, which all scoot around underneath Chum at feeding time. I hope this helps, I love feeding them this way.

Back
Top Bottom