How to get rid of bladder snails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LotlLovinLady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thought it would be fine to just put the plants in the tank... I was so wrong! Now I've picked out about 7-10 visible snails, but I still doubt I got them all. Pretty sure they're bladder snails. HELP!

Agree with TMaier, spent much time trying to eradicate them myself and it did more harm than good. Bladder snails can be controlled, less feeding is the key and it will take time. Your fishes stomachs are the size of a pin head, they can go 2 weeks without eating.
Less excess food will slow their growth.Then trap them with lettuce or cucumber, add it at night and then in the morning pull the vegetable out with excess snails on it. Some bladder snails will remain but they're beneficial to an aquarium. I have bladder/pond/ ramshorns in all my tanks but they're controlled now. All tanks also have Malaysian trumpet and mystery snails. A tank can support many snails intentionally or by hitchikkers from plants.

Agree with TMaier, spent much time trying to eradicate them myself and it did more harm than good. Bladder snails can be controlled, less feeding is the key and it will take time. Your fishes stomachs are the size of a pin head, they can go 2 weeks without eating.
Less excess food will slow their growth.Then trap them with lettuce or cucumber, add it at night and then in the morning pull the vegetable out with excess snails on it. Some bladder snails will remain but they're beneficial to an aquarium. I have bladder/pond/ ramshorns in all my tanks but they're controlled now. All tanks also have Malaysian trumpet and mystery snails. A tank can support many snails intentionally or by hitchikkers from plants.

Thank you so much for all your help! Just wondering, they won't eat my plants or anything?

They will only eat dead or dying plants. Left over fish food. And algae! They will keep the leaves clean if they are healthy plants.

Back
Top Bottom