How to get rid of Bullfrog tadpoles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of bullfrog tadpoles. My friend has about a 4,000 gallon pond and it is becoming overrun with bullfrog tadpoles.

Not that he doesn't like frogs but last year they were just everywhere and even got inside the house somehow. This year there's about a million tadpoles and all the koi died over the winter for some reason.

any advice?

Funny you should ask...we have just been discussing this on the Native Fish Conservancy. Basically, drain the pond, clean it our and restart it seems the best way....aside from that, you can make a decent dent by putting on some waders and going in with big pond nets and scooping them out, but if you miss any, your problem will likely be about the same two years from now.

wow, well, i live around the great lakes, which is all fast moving water where bullfrogs can't live, They are pretty rare arounds here, you find the rare bullfrog in a daitch but that is about it. We have alot of green frogs though

WaterPond said:
wow, well, i live around the great lakes, which is all fast moving water where bullfrogs can't live, They are pretty rare arounds here, you find the rare bullfrog in a daitch but that is about it. We have alot of green frogs though

Take a collecting trip to BC's lower mainland...bullfrogs have become a serious plague there.

Send them down this way. All the ones I raise in the pond become frogs and take off never to be seen again. They just might become playthings for the stray cats. You might need some strays in your neck of the woods.

Gulf coast toads laid so many eggs in my pond, when they hatched and I saw how many tadpoles I had, I was sure I would be innundated with them. They seem to have really decreased in number though. My fish don't seem to be really voracious with them, and the baby softshell turtle I put in doesn't seem to be really going after them, so I am not sure what got them down to a manageable number, but I am grateful. I just hope enough will remain to become full fledged toads. My stepson loves watching them glow.

Hey, I know someone that can send you fully grown bullfrogs the size of dinnerplates (or just about). They're easy to catch too, but not in a really humane way. The frogs are quite dumb and try to eat bobbers that are way to big for them and they are easily hooked on fishing lures. Hey, I warned you that it wasn't humane the way I catch them. But the frogs do come from nearby parts of the lake to share in the bobber and lure eating.

Back
Top Bottom