How to get Rid of Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly it's not on their website. Do you know any other stores in Canada that would sell it? Where do you get yours?

I guess I will call them. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Maybe, but don't thibk this will help with cloudy water... I'll try a flocculent, like API Accu Clear.

It's a "water glue" that glue small particules into bigger that will be filtered by the filter sponge.

Big ALS has 100 gram bags with purigen in it

Or a 250 gram bulk container which requires a bag

And By bag I mean "the bag" by Seachem (who makes purigen)
It has incredibly small opening in the mesh of the bag, due to purigen being very VERY tiny little balls

The bag 12$
250 grams of purigen 20$
100gram bags with purigen in it 12.99$
These are big ALS prices

But be patient

And Order it for less then half price on ebay/ amazon

I did find it helped
But nothing helped more then good filter floss and frequent (weekly) water changes with and everything cleaned with old tank water NOT TAP WATER

Yes I was lazy and cleaned floss and stuff with tap water, allowed to dry
And yes, killed my beneficial bacteria

I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 layers of floss in your stack of media
They even sell, If that doesn't work they sell (expensive) 50 or 100 micron floss , looks more like a thin fleece blanket

For example a human hair is about 170 microns (in diameter)
So 50 is VERY small

Good luck dude

100 micorn pads work best and not expensive

Big ALS has 100 gram bags with purigen in it
They even sell, If that doesn't work they sell (expensive) 50 or 100 micron floss , looks more like a thin fleece blanket

For example a human hair is about 170 microns (in diameter)
So 50 is VERY small
Go back to my post #17 where I mention I recommend
100 Micron AquaticLife Non-Woven Filter pad.
It's only about 1/12 of an inch thick and works WAY better than floss.
I do not consider it expensive for what it does. I buy it at Petsmart where it is the same price as on Amazon:...

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Media Non-Woven White Pad for Aquarium Filter, 100-Micron: Pet Supplies

.... about $10 for 26x30 inches = 780 square inches (5.4 square feet). Each application in my aqua-tech 30-60 and my FluvalC3 is about 25 square inches. Thus 31.2 applications .... rounded down to 28 for waste means each application costs about 35 cents. These pads in my two overstocked tanks (located in the filter after pre-filters and other media) need to be replaced every 3-4 weeks.

My water is so crystal clear and polished that the fish look like they are swimming in air .... as if I had a canister filter. So the small cost is well worth it. (and I only do 25% twice monthly water changes due to cost - tap water so bad it's bottled water here)

Note: I agree the 50 micron pad is too fine and unnecessary for polishing water and would probably clog quite rapidly.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/82012-albums13036-picture62040.html

Thanks some more! I will check out these filter pads and stores when the weekend comes!

OK, so I found this brand of water clarifying called API Accu-Clear. It had very good reviews and was wondering if you guys would recommend this. I couldn't find any of the other brand, so thought I would try this one.

OK, so I found this brand of water clarifying called API Accu-Clear. It had very good reviews and was wondering if you guys would recommend this. I couldn't find any of the other brand, so thought I would try this one.

Perhaps I missed it, but I do not believe you ever mentioned what type of filtration you are running on this tank? Or your water change schedule? I believe your cloudy water issues may lie behind these two answers.

Chemicals are not the answer here. I keep lots of messy goldfish in assorted setups and cloudiness has never been issue even when doing something as drastic as removing or changing substrates, planting or removing plants or even moving tanks and filters/filter media.

I think I missed your post on that. My filter is a emporer 400 that filters up to 95 gallon tanks. I do a 35-40% water change weekly with a gravel vacuum.

I think I missed your post on that. My filter is a emporer 400 that filters up to 95 gallon tanks. I do a 35-40% water change weekly with a gravel vacuum.

I am not sure what the 'up to 95g' that Marineland claims is based on.
I have two of these filters and I doubt they even come near the 400gph that's stated. Even if they did as claimed, you would still be underfiltered for an overstocked goldfish tank. This combined with an insufficient water change schedule is a magic recipe for a cloudy tank.

Add either another 400-500gph HOB type filter (Aqueon or AC) or a big canister and increase your water changes to atleast 50+% twice a week along with decent gravel vacs and you should see improvement in clarity. You can try some of the media options others have suggested in the new filter as well.

Goldies really are messy, messy fish and it really does take quite an effort to keep their tanks in good condition in respect to both appearance and health. :)

Haha, they are messy. Thanks for the information and will try to meet the standards! :)

Back
Top Bottom