how to get rid of nerite snail eggs once and for all???!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i purchased 2 nerite snails to control a bit of an algae that i'm having and plus i thought that snails can be great scavengers. fast forward 2 weeks later i noticed eggs around my manzanita branches and some of my dragonstones. at first i didn't think much of these eggs until i made some water changes. as soon as new water comes in, there's white stringy-things floating in my water, presumably from the eggs. so now, i need to get rid of these eggs and the unsightly white stringy stuffs. every time i do a water change nowadays, there's a stringy "snowstorm" in my tank. i need some advice please.

Could you take a picture? I've never heard of white stringy stuff from nerite eggs.

not sure if related, the water surface looks like this, only after the water change as well. bubbles everywhere

Those don't look like any nerite eggs I've ever seen... I have nerites in 3 of my tanks (between 2-6 per tank), and all they do is scatter little white speck eggs around on my driftwood and decor. I've never seen this stringy snowstorm type behavior. I don't know what would cause that, but I'd question whether it was caused by the nerites.

Nerite eggs are laid singularly and randomly and resemble sesame seeds. How long has the wood been in the tank? I've had this happen a couple of times, but only when I added new wood and only occasionally. It tends to dissappear pretty quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nerite eggs are laid singularly and randomly and resemble sesame seeds. How long has the wood been in the tank? I've had this happen a couple of times, but only when I added new wood and only occasionally. It tends to dissappear pretty quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
yup, these are randomly scattered sesame seed size eggs. the wood has been in the tank for more than 6 months

Hi,

I was considering getting Nerites for my tank (1 or 2) only because I read somewhere that they do not breed in freshwater, but seeing as they are laying eggs, that doesn't seem to be true. Are there any types of snails that will not lay eggs, and would not get picked on by my current stock - 4 guppies, 2 platys, 1 thick lipped gourami? I also plan to add 1 angel and 1 black sailfin molly. Thanks!

Laying eggs is not equal to breeding. They will lay eggs but you wont have any extra snails as it is true they will not ferlilize in freshwater. Trade off is fair in my opinion for the amount of work they put in. But I also have white silica sand so the eggs are just one of millions of white sesame seeds in my tank.

Is it possible to identify the males from the females (in this or any other type of snail). I was thinking if I get 1 or 2 males, I shouldn't have to be concerned about the eggs.

honestly, you're just better off finding the root of the algae problem and correcting that. Can't have it both ways, lol. You want snails to fix the issue, a snail that won't multiply, then Nerite seems like the best bet. But you get eggs.

Actually, I dont have Algae. I'm getting a snail because my little girl wants a snail. Having got one, I dont want to make it too demanding to keep, hence the need to be able to identify males for any type of snail.

my apologies, didn't read through and thought you were the OP posting. Think it still same premise though. Most snails are hermaphrodites but I don't think it applies to Nerites. Females need males. I haven't heard of any way to sex them other than no eggs in tank = male.

Back
Top Bottom