how to hide filter/heater hardware in 55??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twostepct

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting ready to move somewhere where I plan on staying and am wanting to finally set up my 55 for fw. I am planning on havine a limited number of cichlids and am planning on doing the lava rock background from duboisi.com w/o the caves (just rock on plexi-glass). I am trying to figure out how I could hide my heater and filter. Is it possible to make a box for one corner and put this stuff BEHIND it? Would I get enough flow/heat exchange if I drilled small holes in the background between the rocks? I am thinking I would have to use a canister filter to pull this off. As you know, the 55 is limited depth wise so any help is appreciated.

I doubt you'll have enough water movement placing the heater behind the background. Even if you do drill holes in it. Your best option IMO, is a cannister filter equipped to handle a heater in line.

Yep - have to agree with Brian. Canister filter with a Hydor in-line heater. I just set-up a 70 gallon with this set-up and very pleased with the 'clean' look inside!

If you go for a canister filter , you could always go with an inline heater. it attaches to the tubbing on the filter and they work great, that way you don't have to worry about cichlids breaking your heater. HTH

Thanks guys. Sorry for the slow response, but I work odd hours and am on at odd times. So, what kind of canister filter should I look for to accept an in-line heater? Are there other filter options I have not looked at? I don't think I can drill the bottom of the tank (glass) and so I think an overflow is out of the question.

You can have an overflow box hang on the back, and use a sump. Sumps have many attributes, and putting the heater in it is one. I read somewhere once that you should have 7W per gallon if you put the heater in the sump, and must include the sump volume in your calculation.

Otherwise, the Hydor in line heater will work with any vinyl tubing 5/8 inch internal diameter. I believe you could squeeze it into 1/2 inch, and still get a good seal with 3/4 inch tube. It looks like the Fluval ribbed tubing might be tricky. Yes, I have fluvals with the ribbed tubing, but the ribbed tubing wasn't long enough to reach where I wanted the canister (behind a wall, its long enough to be under your tank) , so I have a length of viny tubing with the hydor in that.

Back
Top Bottom