How to Improve Big Pet Store Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, that is the same article i read on them. not much i am going to be able to do with those fish.

The thought of a little tetra not being scared of a Midas would scare me to even put my hand in that tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i went through all of the bettas tonight, 150 or so, and completely changed out their water. the wall of bettas is a bit depressing. they could cut the number they keep in half and still have plenty to sell and display. i found 4 that were dead and appeared to have been so for some time. they have some really nice ones, too. i am considering dusting off the 10 gallon and setting up a betta tank of my own. will be sure that they get better treatment while i am working there.

it was nice to be able to spend most of my shift working with the fish as opposed to being on the computer. even had a chance to educate a few customers about the ich life cycle, about cycling tanks, feeding, and about green water.

a woman came in asking about chemicals to treat green water. i asked her a few questions and found out she was overfeeding and leaving her lights on all day long, 12 plus hours. i actually told her to put the chemicals back, to reduce feeding, increase water changes, leave the lights off for 2 or 3 days, and then to decrease to 5 or 6 hours of lighting a day. she seemed taken back that i didnt try to sell her anything.

a woman came in asking about chemicals to treat green water. i asked her a few questions and found out she was overfeeding and leaving her lights on all day long, 12 plus hours. i actually told her to put the chemicals back, to reduce feeding, increase water changes, leave the lights off for 2 or 3 days, and then to decrease to 5 or 6 hours of lighting a day. she seemed taken back that i didnt try to sell her anything.

you should have at least sold her an algae scraper....:whistle:

you should have at least sold her an algae scraper....:whistle:

ha! well, it was green water, not algae on the glass...but i do see your point. hopefully, management will not. i dont really feel like selling people stuff they dont need.

I've heard from people on here that a UV sterilizer worked better than a blackout. Might be something to tell people to look into if the blackout doesn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i have to see what types of uv sterilizers they have in stock, and will consider suggesting them in the future. i just like to find the cause of the problem and treat that.

They have a couple at the petco I frequent in dedham. I actually agree with the idea of recommending a uv for green water, they do work excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to say I do think that what you're doing makes a positive difference. At the awful ***** where I grew up, I wouldn't buy anything. Here, though, they're pretty high quality and so I actually buy most of my stuff there- and considering I have 5 fish tanks (soon to be 9, holy guacamole!) they're making a killing off of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I do think that what you're doing makes a positive difference. At the awful petco's where I grew up, I wouldn't buy anything. Here, though, they're pretty high quality and so I actually buy most of my stuff there- and considering I have 5 fish tanks (soon to be 9, holy guacamole!) they're making a killing off of me.

A very specific chain store close to me has made a killing from me before I discovered Amazon and being much closer than any other LFS

oh, im gonna end up spending lots of my paycheck there. at least i get a discount though. planning on starting up a couple of my empty tanks, my 10 and my 46 bow.

for the 10, i am gonna pick up a betta...thinking an elephant ear betta, and maybe a couple snails.

looking for ideas for the 46, though. probably get it running over the summer.

i have to see what types of uv sterilizers they have in stock, and will consider suggesting them in the future. i just like to find the cause of the problem and treat that.

Makes sense on finding the cause.

If I could fit one in the small tank I would as it is next to the window. So everything is all setup with timers for lights, etc and it's all wrecked with the algae having a field day every time the curtains / windows are open over summer. :(

We had this fish come in with the feeders. Anyone know what it is? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433705453.566864.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433705470.556173.jpg

Some uncommon cichlid I got no idea what type. Try posting in the cichlid section they could probably tell you.

Caleb

Check out this link: Gallery of Pennsylvania Fishes - Chapter 22, Sunfishes Without seeing the entire fish and fin structure, my guess is a type of rock bass or possibly a Warmouth.

Hope this helps (y)
I too thought bass?
Long body.
More to the point.........
Your feeders come from ponds that native species have access to!
The fish....MEH...disease carriers....
But where native fish enter water we also find birds.
These are IMO some of the larger disease carriers that can effect or tanks.
More to the point again.......
This is not just feeders.
For real!
Many of your common tropicals come from these same farms.
Ask Andy.
This is why local breeders and knowing where your LFS gets their stock from is important IMO.

Back
Top Bottom