How to keep algea down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have issues with algea. I don't really know why it grows like it does, because I only fertilize once a week, but it does. Is there some semi aggressive fish that would happily live in 29 gallons that would eat algae?

Please tell me.

thanks

What kind of algae is it? How long do you run your lights? What lights do you have?

What kind of lights do you use and do you have a carbon source or co2 gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a flora sun max plant growth 24" bulb that stays on for 12 hours in a 18 inch deep tank.

I am not sure what kind of algea it is, but here is a picture:

DSCN0405.JPG

Depending on your lights and how many plants you have/ substrate you use. Adding fertilizer may be too much and thats your algae cause. Too much fert+ maybe too much light. If you dont use CO2, stick with a lower light and i wouldnt dose ferts to water column.

After seeing your pic, I would at least dose flourish excel daily and skip out of dosing the water column and stick with root tabs instead. Limit your lights to no more than 8 hrs. Preferably 6. I have mine on timers from 12-4, take a 2 hr break, then 6-10 to allow co2 levels to rebuild.

You dont have enough plants to utilize the nutrients you are supplying the tank.

I would highly recommend planting your tank a lot heavier and the problem should go away without having to add fish. Algae eaters alone wont even put a dent in what you have.

Get some excell, api co2 booster , or metricide 14 to dose a carbon source and cut lights back to 6-8 hours a day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom