How to keep bottom sediment to a minimum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed today in my 125gal that im having some trouble keeping the bottom as clean as i did in the 65gal. I have 2 minijet 1200s and 2 hydors (#4) in the tank so far. My rock is towards the back glass. Should i point one of my hydors more towards the bottom or is my thinking wrong. My substrate is crushed coral so it doesnt blow around as easy but it still blows around.

Sorry to inform you but Crushed Coral is not the best substrate to use. It becomes a Nitrate magnet over time. Yes, pointing the PH to the area that lthe sediment is building up will help. You may need to add anolther Ph to help out or point one powerhead to blow into the other so as to cause a random flow...

Do you use a gravel vacuum to help lift and remove the "muck" from the substrate?

i havent used one yet. Last time i used sand i had a bad experiance as to why i use crushed coral now.. Its not a thick bed at all. maybe half inch across the whole tank

Are you having a problem with nitrates? CC because of how much heavier it is will trap waste and debris causing higher nutrates.

nope nitrates are 5... But I need a larger clean up crew for sure to help me out some with cleaning it. And in the tank before this nitrates were never HIGH... and it was a thicker bed yet.

Back
Top Bottom