How to keep Ember Tetras from getting stuck in Powered Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amberlon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added a small school of Ember tetras to my community 23 gallon tank with an aquaclear filter, and two of them died the next morning found stuck in the filter. I checked again the next night and found another one stuck between the sponge and the glass; luckily, I caught it just in time and he survived, swimming happily back in the tank. I turned off the filter for now, but, what do I do? It only seems to happen at night when the aquarium lights are turned off. Can you not keep tetras with powered filters?

Is there any way you can think of to block off that particular spot? Maybe use a bigger sponge so there is no gap?

Don’t leave your filter off. Cycle will crash and it could kill everything in your tank.

You have a sponge prefilter? If so the fish were probably weak or dying for some other reason (mini cycle? Have you checked water parameters) I assume you’ve already adjusted the aquaclear to its lowest flow rate as well?

Adding a pre filter guard/sponge to the filter intake will help ALOT, although you will most likely have to *rinse* it out on a regular basis

I endorse the pre-filter sponge; I've found them very helpful on my aquaclears. Also, I agree with libertybelle that something else might have been wrong with those fish: Aquaclears can be dangers to fry and baby shrimp, but not adult fish.

Back
Top Bottom