How to limit the flow of a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamiecake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just put Milo, my betta, in his new six gallon Eclipse tank (Walmart.com: Eclipse System 6-Gallon Aquarium Kit: Fish) and he doesn't seem to enjoy the fact that the water now moves. Any suggestions on how to limit the filter flow? :/ I didn't see any adjustments on the filter itself.

Pics or it didn't happen?
- of the filter : http://i43.tinypic.com/2f04phe.jpg
(as you can see, I put a rock there but it doesn't seem to help)

Also, are there any fish that might coexist peacefully with a betta? It seems very empty with just one fish...

Google and search here. There are tons of fish that could. It largely depends on the personality of a betta. As a general rule, they are least likely to work with other anabantoids (gouramis, paradise fish, etc) and long-finned fish (like guppies).

I'll see if there's a suitable sponge at Petco this weekend.

And I just looked on Wiki. It said platies, but I'm a bit wary of Wiki's accuracy. I'll look around some more. Milo is semi-aggressive for a betta I think. He flares when I poke at the side of the aquarium, but swims away if he sees me scoop out uneaten food. He bullied the bloodfin I tried to put in his tank, chasing it around until it hid behind the dragon.

I tried a sponge myself and didnt find much effectiveness. I instead took a plastic cup, cut off half of it vertically and the bottom, drilled holes in the remaning side, and attached it to the underside of my filter beneath the outflow. It eliminated almost all current in my tank yet still allows enough agitation to provide good oxygen absorbtion in the water

I had a betta in a 10 gallon tank with 6 harlequin rasboras and some ghost shrimp. Everyone got along fine. I guess just stay away from other fish with long fins that might resemble a betta, and also stay away from fin nippers that might bother him.

How high is your water level? I'm not familiar with your filtration but if it works anything like a typical HOB filter, then you can raise your water level - this will significantly reduce the "water fall effect" without reducing your overall filtration.

A story of a betta with platys.

I recently had my betta with platys, I caution you about trying that combination. I have a story for you.

I have a male betta (Fawkes) that always appeared to be mild mannered. He didn't behave much like any male betta I had ever seen. I never saw him flare up, he didn't build a bubble nest, he just hung around my five gallon tank "pretending to be a goldfish."

One day, after several weeks of consideration. I brought home three platys. I chose platys that weren't too colorful so that Fawkes wouldn't confuse them for another betta. That apparently didn't matter.

As soon as there were other fish in the tank, Fawkes became an entirely diffrent betta. He was flaring up constantly, and began chasing the platies around the tank. It looked like a territory dispute. Like he was yelling "Hey, get out of my yard!" But the chasing didn't stop.

Within a few hours, one of the paties had a large mouth shaped chunk taken out of its tail. I began to get worried. I decided to seperate the betta from the platys for awhile. Let the platys get accustomed to the tank before returning the betta to its home.

I waited about 24 hours before tanking action. I read a chapter on dealing with aggressive fish several times before deciding to return Fawkes to the tank with the platys. Like I expected, it wasn't long before things were back to the way they were.

Overnight that one bite became three. The poor platys had become increasingly skiddish. One of the platy's tailfin looked awful. A second platy was also missing a mouthful of tailfin.

But the platys weren't the only ones taking damage. Fawke's tailfin was ripped down the middle and the upper half was beginning to deteriorate. I watched the commotion very carefully durring the time that they were togther. It appeared that all of the flaring and chasing that Fawkes was doing was causing him to rip up his fins. It appeared that he was cutting and ripping it against things inside of the tank, or that all of the action was causing the dammage.

I never once saw the platys chase or attack the betta.

About 36 hours later I decided to seperate the platys and the betta for good. The chasing was showing no signs of stoping and I couldn't stand to see the dammage continue.

Ever since being seperated things have generally gotten better. The platy's tails are almost healed and the skiddishness has largely gone away. Fawkes now routinely builds a bubble nest, and will flare if someone walks into the room unnanounced. Sadly, his beautiful tail is yet to heal.

I was told by my LFS that platys got along great with bettas.
They didn't tell me that bettas don't get along with platys. :twisted:

About the flow of the filter. Changing the water level in the tank so that the water falls into the tank will largely solve the current problem.

Last edited:
As others have said, the water level need to be upto (and perhaps just a little higher than) the bottom of the water discharge.

But since there will still be a current, you insure that you have enough structures or caves in the tank so that your betta has some place to go to get out of the current when he wants to.

The other thing is to build some sort of platform that attatches to the bottom of the discharge area so that the discharge is spread out over a wider area. You could effectively do the same thing by drilling additional holes around the basin that holds the bio wheel so that the water isn't all coming out of the same spot.

Otherwise, about the only other way to slow the water flow would be to add some sort of restriction to the intake. That could be of the form of a filter material, but then you would have to change out and maintain that filter. And I could also see where restricting the water flow might add additional strain to the pump causing it to burn out or wear out prematurely.

My personal suggestion is to increase the water level so that the water isn't falling out of the discharge at all, and add more decorations or more plants to reduce the water movement at lower levels in the tank.

But the other

Back
Top Bottom