How to lower ph in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tested my ph in my tank and its at 7.6. I have Malaysian and mopani driftwood and I'm wondering what is another way to lower it naturally. I know there is aquarium peat available but can't seem to find it in my area. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to lower ph? I would also like to get it to 6.8-7.0 as I want to become a breeder. I have a lfs who wants to do business with me but I want to get my ph to a more suitable level.

Well, when I started my 60g the pH was at 8.2 I think, and I added DW, pressurized CO2, a small amount of peat in the filter and now it's at a stable 6.8, perfect for my angelfish. I'm not sure what I did, though!

Ill have to try and find peat. I'm wondering if u were to do a DIY CO2 if that would lower the ph at all. I know it helps plants. I just want to be at 6.8-7.0 as I want to have some sensitive fish.

Driftwood wood will run out of pH lowering juice once the tannins clear (for the major part).
Peat can be useful but you will still need to change it fairly often (think tea bag). Same with leaves and such.
Using CO2 to bring down the pH in a breeding tank seems a little oddball to me, it introduces too many potential problems and expenses. You will have to decide if you want a planted tank that your fish can potentially breed in or a breeding tank with plants.

If you are serious about breeding sensitive species then you need to look into mixing water to the appropriate values starting with RO. This takes time and devotion though.

Lava rocks, live plants (start out with something hearty like java moss or fern, or an anubias, use distilled water to top off- just kicking a few ideas around

Driftwood wood will run out of pH lowering juice once the tannins clear (for the major part).
Peat can be useful but you will still need to change it fairly often (think tea bag). Same with leaves and such.
Using CO2 to bring down the pH in a breeding tank seems a little oddball to me, it introduces too many potential problems and expenses. You will have to decide if you want a planted tank that your fish can potentially breed in or a breeding tank with plants.

If you are serious about breeding sensitive species then you need to look into mixing water to the appropriate values starting with RO. This takes time and devotion though.

+1 peat would be the "easiest" way but may become a pain if you can't find it locally and need to order it online or travel for it. RO water is the best option but it takes dedication on your part and may be more work than you want to do.

I tested my ph in my tank and its at 7.6. I have Malaysian and mopani driftwood and I'm wondering what is another way to lower it naturally. I know there is aquarium peat available but can't seem to find it in my area. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to lower ph? I would also like to get it to 6.8-7.0 as I want to become a breeder. I have a lfs who wants to do business with me but I want to get my ph to a more suitable level.

I got my peat from Lowes. A 3 cubic foot compressed bag for $9. Enought peat to last me a lifetime. 100% organic sphagum peat, right there on the bag. I took a nylon stocking and filled it with peat, then compressed it by hand to fit it tightly into the top tray of my canister. Every bit of my water has to run through 3 inches of compressed peat 10x per hour.

Back
Top Bottom