How to make a 3 Gallon Reef tank. One Day Set-up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and I just want this to be clear mwita, no one "hates" your idea. nor hates your account of success with this method. The folks here, myself included, are passionate about not only the hobby, but the well being of the life in our tanks. The LFS yanked the parts off the shelf and set up a tank in a half an hour because he knew you wouldn't see any draw backs in that half hour. It would look simple and clean and would "make perfect sense"

After my relatively short time here on this board I can't begin to count the number of other members that we have all helped through cycling, cyano bacteria, algae outbreaks, fluctuating water parameters, ich... the list goes on and on with the number of things that can easily go wrong if the tank's are not set up properly, correctly, and with the well being of the inhabitants in mind. Things even go wrong when all of that IS taken into account. Yes, your system worked and I'm very happy for you and your fish. But what makes everyone here cringe is the knowledge that other new comers to the hobby will eventually find your post, go to the LFS with your shopping list and come home, set it up, and wonder why so many things go wrong. Then they end up waisting time, money and most importantly life. Not to mention, they also become turned off from the hobby because of the experience. As proponents of this hobby I think most here feel a certain duty to be sure others that follow our advice has positive experiences and have healthy, happy tanks.

Now my comment on the LFS was certainly, for the most part, a joke. But your own account of what the LFS did is exactly why there is a bit of truth to my joke. LFS by the hundreds came out with "Nemo Tank" set ups the day Finding Nemo was released and so, SO many poor fish were killed because the LFS grabbed a 3 gallon tank and told everyone that keeping a "Nemo" is a no brainer. Far too many Pet stores of all kinds gloss over the truth of the responsibility and effort involved in pet ownership. Make no mistake, there are plenty out there who do care for their "goods" beyond getting them out the door. There are some who are even members here on this board. But they the exception to the rule, as was your success with your 3 gallon tank.

Again, we welcome you and your fish here with open arms. Please, keep us up to date! Send us some more pics of your 50 gallon... we like pictures here if you couldn't tell :wink:

Back
Top Bottom