How to make sure no inbreeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I make sure my platys don't interbreed since they are pretty so fast I get the families confused and I dont want them to inter breed. I got a 30G full of em and I also got a lot of 10G empty.

did u get them all from seperate places? chances are they are already inbred to some extent. really there isnt a way to stop em since they hold sperm for so long it makes it tricky to determine whos the father

daveho said:
did u get them all from seperate places? chances are they are already inbred to some extent. really there isnt a way to stop em since they hold sperm for so long it makes it tricky to determine whos the father

I did get them different places is it bad for interbreeding? I know so some can have bent spines which I cult if it does happen.

though i dont advocate it inbreeeding isnt as much of a problem as it is for other animals, im fairly sure ballon mollys are a result of selective inbreeding.
at any rate i would recomend selling or rehoming any fry u end up with so they cant inbreed

How can I make sure my platys don't interbreed since they are pretty so fast I get the families confused and I dont want them to inter breed. I got a 30G full of em and I also got a lot of 10G empty.

Here's the thing, unless you have a wild fish, the way your fish came into being (i.e. all the different color variations) was through inbreeding. Daveho was right in that Balloon Mollies are the prodiuct of selective inbreeding as are numerous other fish common to the marketplace today.
To stop the inbreeding line, you must not let brothers and sisters mate and not let parent to offspring mate for more than 1 generation. This means that you can breed parent to child 100 times(for example) without changing the offspring geneticly. But you can't take these offspring and breed them back to either their siblings or parents or else you will increase the number of "defective" genes that they may be carrying. To get a better understanding of what happens within breeding, google "Punnett Square". This will show you how things work and how you can determine how many(percentage wise) fish in a spawn will carry what genes.

It's a little complicated but hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom