How to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepieces444

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought some glosso stigma and had a question on how I am supposed to plant this. I took it out of its little plastic pot it came in and just plopped it into the substrate. I also did the same with my red wendtti crypt. Is this the right way? Thanks for the help.

:rainbowafro: :crazyeyes: By the way, this site ROCKS!!!!! :crazyeyes: :rainbowafro:

also just for if anyone knows. i bought quickrite play sand for my other tank which will have lake malawai cichlids and was wondering if that was argonite based? thanks.

quickrite isn't argonite based, as far as I know.

glosso should be planted stem by stem...which is a very long and tedious process. try using tweezers.
failure to do so will likely cause it to choke itself out, rot, and die. Crypt's can be planted this way.

I hope you have a lot of light and CO2 injection. glosso needs at least 2 watts per gallon, though 2.5wpg puts you in a better 'success range'.

Yes I have a coralife fixture with 2-65 watt 6700k bulbs, and a carbo plus injection. Looks like I will be stealing my girlfriends tweezers. Are you saying that crpyt's can just be plopped into the ground?

Crypts can go right into the substrate. If it has that yellowish cottony material around the roots, I'd remove that first and trim the roots a bit.

Welcome to AA :BIG:

good luck with the carbo-plus unit. I have yet to meet a person who's happy with its results...and only a handful that are 'some what satisfied, but only because they are not spending more money on a better CO2 unit since they already spent so much on this one'

good luck with it, and be diligent on water changes, since the carbo plus will dissolve your Kh to create CO2 for the plants.

Really depends on the size of the tank as to how useful the carbo unit will be. Pressurized CO2 is always the 'ultimate' in CO2 injection. Runs about $150 for the CO2 tank and a regulator. Injection methods vary from free to $100, though for $15 you can build a nice reactor.

Back
Top Bottom