How to plumb my 90; gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deenice49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help to plumb my tank to my
Sump and drill it
Thank you

I can only show you how I did mine ... there as many "correct" ways to do it.

The overflow box is centered along the back wall of my (new) 100g tank:

AcrylicDrains4.jpg

Two 1.5 inch bulkheads for drains, Two 1" bulkheads for return(s).

Here's after it was plumbed to the sump:

AcrylicPlumbing1.jpg

AcrylicPlumbing3.jpg

drains into the left side of the sump, with the skimmer... through a bubble-trap into the return section (center) ... an extra line t'd from the main drain goes to the refuge on the left (with a valve to control flow.)
(This pic was before I added the return line within the tank/overflow... but that's just a section of PVC with a T and two Loc-Line return nozzles into the main part of the tank.)
The 4th hole I drilled is just capped off ... not being used, but might come in handy in the future.

Filled and cycling:

AcrylicFilledClear.jpg

OK, here's one with the return lines plumbed:

AcrylicPlumbing6.jpg

what do I need to put in my sump
To start it

I'm not sure what you're asking.
um... you'll need to put water in it.

You'll also need a return pump.

Most folks would add a skimmer, but it's not technically necessary.

As for the refugium section, it all depends on how you plan to use it.
In that the whole point of a sump is to provide more filtration (as well as placement of equipment), you'd probably want some live-rock in the ref section at the least. Sand is optional... Once the aquarium's up and running, you'll likely want some macro-algae in there where it's protected from herbivorous fish in the display tank.

If you're still just wondering about the plumbing... water from the display tank needs to drain into the "socks" on one end of the sump... that section is also where most people would put a skimmer. The water then flows from there to the center "refuge" section... and then to the other end compartment where you'll have the "return pump" to pump the water back up to the display tank.

Do you need a overflow box on you tank or
Can sill use my tank with out it

Yes, about he overflow box? ... It keeps fish from being sucked into the overflow drain, it also keeps you from siphoning all the water out of the tank (and overflowing the sump onto the floor) in the event of a power/pump failure.

It doesn't have to be as large as mine. If you drill a back or side panel near the top (rather than drilling through the bottom panel) then the "box" can be a smaller bit that just surrounds those bulkheads you drill.

I have a 5 stage plus RO/DO system-75 gallon i hook it up i have low pressure it 28 so i got a 8800 booster pump kit and the pressure is the same at 28 with the booster can some one help me with this problems

I just Started my Saltwater tank what Kind shrimp
I get to put in my tank

I need help Again with my reef keeper v2 I downloaded my Reef 2.0 on my PC If recognize the reef keeper but I cannot set it up I l Plug it into the PC and it recognize it will won't let me program it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom