How to prune christmas moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Christmas moss is getting to thick on my tree I made. How do I thin it out? Do I just use scissors and cut it like I would a hedge?

Back when i had xmas moss i would trim it with scissors, and while doing so i would siphon out the clippings during a wc. U could probably use a net to clean it out also.

Thanks. I am going to use scissors today when I do tank maintenance. I was told that Christmas moss was a slow grower but I started out with about a palm size amount and in couple of months I have gotten enough to cover almost every rock structure in my tank. Plus I have clumps of it all around my tank. The shrimp and snails love it.

I've found mosses just seem to grow faster in some tanks. Can't find a reason behind this, I just trim my mosses with sissor and net out sas much as possible.

I find taking whatever out the moss is attached to and trimming over a bucket best as well. Moss, unlike other plants, just sinks and goes every where if you trim it carelessly submerged. Next thing you know you have moss popping up everywhere. In the cases where i can't remove the object its attached to, i hold the moss with one hand and snip away with the other ... Removing as i go.

Back
Top Bottom