How to reduce flow in an Eclipse aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an Eclipse 3 system with a male betta, with a clump of java moss. He seems happy in his bachlor pad, except that his fins seem to fray which I think is becuase of the high flow in the tank. How can I reduce the current in the tank ?

You can try putting a sponge (from the LFS. not the kind for your sink ;) ) over the intake tube, which should slow it down.

-brent

Another thing is that sometimes plastic plants have sharp edges that tear up betta's fins, as do some rock decorations. Those Eclipse systems don't seem to me to have much flow in the best of times (I have 2) so check for other causes, too. I agree with Flipz about the sponge, get an Aquaclear Mini and cut an "X" into one end, and shove it over the intake tube, to replace the strainer end. You will have to rinse it out quite frequently.

I have an eclipse 1 and hade the same problem. What i did was remove the bio roller and add a sponge. Then I removed the out let thing (just snaps off) and added 1" pipe that goes to the top of the substrate . I then drilled small holes on the bottom end of the pipe(larger or more holes to allow more flow). Also caped the end of the pipe. I will post some pics if you want.

roscoe said:
I have an eclipse 1 and hade the same problem. What i did was remove the bio roller and add a sponge. Then I removed the out let thing (just snaps off) and added 1" pipe that goes to the top of the substrate . I then drilled small holes on the bottom end of the pipe(larger or more holes to allow more flow). Also caped the end of the pipe. I will post some pics if you want.

yes please

Back
Top Bottom