How to remove and store live rock/sand for future use...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopher311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a new aquarium with original intentions of transferring everything over "live". Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way.

Basically I'm in the middle of moving. I have to shut down my old tank, but won't have the new one up and running for at least a few weeks.

So unfortunately I'm going to have to remove and store the rocks/sand, knowing this will kill it and I'll be starting from scratch.

How do I do this properly? I've heard of soaking the rocks in water and bleach to be sure to kill everything. Or, leaving them out in the sun. But, it's about 15 degrees here so that's not an option.

And how about the sand?

Any help is appreciated.

I've read you can keep them in a garbage Pail with salt water and a circ pump and they will stay live!

I've read you can keep them in a garbage Pail with salt water and a circ pump and they will stay live!

+1 This is how I've been storing my extra live rock. Another option is to just get some 5g buckets with lids and stick them in there with water and lid them up. They won't be "live" when you finally get around to using them again but they will at least be cured.

I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. So if I just keep them in a trash can with a power head that's all I have to do? Would I have to change the water at any point?

What about the sand? I'm guessing I could do the same?

I've been thinking about doing something along those lines. So if I just keep them in a trash can with a power head that's all I have to do? Would I have to change the water at any point?

What about the sand? I'm guessing I could do the same?

If you want to keep the rock "live" you will have to feed it once or twice a week with some fish food. As for water changes *shrug* I don't know if its necessary but it couldn't hurt.

Yes, get a food grade garbage can and just circulate. I would do a water change every other week, like 10% just to keep good levels but overall, you won't need to do much to keep them alive.

Back
Top Bottom