How to remove old coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a used pre-drilled tank an everything is perfect except the corner overflow has coralline algae left on it from previous use. How do I remove it?

Good thing I went an bought a gallon of vinegar. I tried to cover it last nigh my soaking paper towels an laying it on it but no such luck

vinegar like already said nice sharp straight edge razor blade and some triple 0 steal wool , and a lot of hard work just avoid all the silicone seams , it's not no walk in the park lots of work, If it was me I would leave it on sides and back glass just clean the front glass

Last edited:
I had a 155 gallon i bought with a ton of Coraline algae you couldn't even see into the tank but with some vinegar and a paint scraper i got it all off in 7 hours :/ long time i know but if you really want it, its worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like a plan, I'm lucky it's not all over the tank, just the black corner overflow. Update also, I've gotten a quarter off by the vinegar soak an a small razor. Many more hours to follow but the tank is shaping up. Should have it up an everything swapped over by thanksgiving

If you fill the tank up then dump the vinegar in an allow it to soak for afew days it should come off like butter. I've had several tank with hard water and lately a 110 covered in coralline algae and afew days of soaking it... Comes right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've been soaking paper towels in vinegar an applying to the area, layer after layer, works really well. I've removed most of it now with only a spot or two left

Back
Top Bottom