How to "seed" new filter with bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hortoholic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have one of those Biobag filters that are flat cartridges with charcoal in them and Its starting to get a greenish color? Is that good or bad? But mostly if this contains the bacteria how do I "seed" the bacteria in to the new cartidge ir is it better to remove the charcoal and re use the cartidge. I want to do this so the next filter does not go thorugh another cycle.

How would it be done?

Thank you,

hortoholic

If it were me I would go buy a bag of 100% pure polyfiber from a crafts store. I got a big bag years ago for a few dollars and I haven't even used half of it yet.

What I do is cut it to fit and stuff it in the filter. Every water change I'll use some of the water I take out of the tank to wash the polyfiber. I just swish it around in the bucket and put it right back in the filter. I'll use the same piece until it falls apart. Good luck!

What filter you have? Most have space for 2 filters cart. so the best is to run 2 carts, and change only one at a time. <several weeks apart.>

Most people don't bother with carbon unless taking out meds, or otherwise where carbon is needed. It porb is simplest to take out the carbon & run just the plain filter floss until it starts to fall apart. Or you can replace the cart with just filter foam. <They make them for AC filters ... others use cut to fit foam inserts.> Not using the carbon may also make room for you to stuff in a second filter pad in a small filter so you can do the rotation change.

Next time you clean your tank take the filter and swish it around in the drained tank water. Most of the nasty stuff will probably come off.

+1 on jsoong post. Also, if the tank has been established for a while and the filter only has one slot, you can change it out. You will have enough bacteria in the gravel and the decor that the filter change wont hurt much.

The green is algae ... no big deal... the brown slime is bacteria...

And the bacteria are on every surface of the tank and decor and substrate... so changing the filter only removes a portion of the bacteria... and at that point they are at a level that they can replenish themselves to the needed level within 24 hours, so no worries!

Thanks for all the help you guys rock! I am not sure if my bio filters is 100% established yet. I added some amquel (very low dose), plants and salt to help lower because I was getting a nitrite and elevated levels of amonia. I added some live plants to help oxygenate the water and remove some of thos toxins. Just to make sure I got this, the carbon does not have to be used in the filrer for an aquarium? But i see alagae but ni slime on the filter. There is only one filter cartidge that can be put in ata a time. its a tetra whisper disposable filter cartidge for the whisper filter air driven 3i. It has carbon inside of it.

If you see ammonia &/or nitrites, your cycle is not establish. Do not disturb the filter at this stage, no matter how gross it looks. Wait till your cycle is finished before cleaning the filter. (Just swish it in a bucket of tank water.)

Most of us don't use carbon unless for a specific reason. <And if you do, you need to add fresh carbon as it is saturated in a matter of weeks.>

You have an internal filter. These don't have a lot of room for media. I would use a cut to fit foam in place of the cart. <After your tank is cycled & your cart starts to deteriorate, and it will be best to seed the foam with part of the original filter pad.> If you use 2 pieces of foam, you can do the rotation change method.

BTW - what size is the tank & what have you got in it?

Last edited:
I'll look into some of that cut to fit filter material. By the way - how far do you suppose I am into the cycle? Am I just beginning or close to the end? My tank is a 2.5 gallon with 3 guppy fish. I got some live plants to get rid of some of the amonia. Last week was 4ppm and now is 2. I guess its going down slowly. The fish are not showing any signs of stress and are activley swimming and eating. Tha tank is almost a month old and was started around the 3.

Ammonia at 2, starting to go down .... you are prob just past the ammonia peak .... about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way there!

Where is the nitrite? On the way up I would think.

Although the fish appears fine, I would do water changes to keep the levels lower. Generally, it it best to keep ammonia less than 0.5 & nitrites less than 0.25. Keeping levels low like this will prolong the cycle, but the fish will thank you.

I am going to continue 25% partial water changes. Would this be effective? How much would you say is max so I do not impede on the developing biofilter? How orften would you say to do these water changes?

Daily water changes are needed in small setups during cycling. With ammonia up over 2, I'd be doing 50% until the level drops. Just let your ammonia & nitrite levels guide you. The higher the levels, the more water you need to change out.

Keeping the levels low will slow things a bit, but it is much better for the fish.

You should just change the filter and don't worry about seeding. Your tank should be well seeded.:loopy:

With ammonia levels over 2ppm his tank is not cycled. Changing the filter at this point will only make things worse.

Back
Top Bottom