How to set up a fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leave her in the fry tank for about a week so she can regain her strength. The male will stress her out and kill her. and feed her plenty of high protein food. Blood worms are good for both fry and mother and crushed spirulina flags for colour. Good luck. T

Leave her in the fry tank for about a week so she can regain her strength. The male will stress her out and kill her. and feed her plenty of high protein food. Blood worms are good for both fry and mother and crushed spirulina flags for colour. Good luck. T

That high protein diet is a surefire way to cause impaction leading to Bloat, these fish have very long intestines to remove nutrients from algae and they are not designed to process a high protein diet...bad advice. Stick with a quality pellet crushed like New Life Spectrum Thera and call it a day. The exoskin of frozen blood worms is extremely hard on the digestive system of fish, most breeders have learned this and you'll find most feed pellets as a staple with no treats so to speak of.

The female can be placed back into the tank within a day or two, I always transfer her back at night to ease transition.

Last edited:
Hmm u learn sumting new everyday. That's how I used to do it and it worked for me. Thnx for the correction always nice to learn new ways. T

Thanks to you both.
HUKIT , what is Thera? I have NLS for Cichlids

It's NLS with a high dosage of garlic with enough to kill some parasites from what they advertise, that's not the reason I use though. Garlic has been shown to have alot of health benefits and is also a natural antioxident. I feed this exclusively to all my fish execpt the big boys which are now up to 7.5&10mm pellets.

http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17

I have realized that I will never stop learning stuff from the people of this site, to sound like a broken record..... THANKS :)

FWIW- best fry tank ever - In the summer in new england (CT) I used a tetra 15x20 pond liner to make a 14x9 pond with a max 2 foot depth and a 1 foot shelf all the way around except for one end which was very shallow and used for a waterfall (for kicks). Fed the fish once a day and let nature do the rest. Draining the pond is a real all day chore (start at crack of dawn) - as you want to save all the fry you can, but man did those suckers grow!

well my first batch of fry (hybrids) turned to young juveniles and are now mostly gone. A friend of mine and his wife took them to raise in a very large tank and of course cut down the male population sometime in the future. my QT tank is back ready to be a hospital tank.. Until i get my 30 g ready :)

I could not help putting a few in the main tank, we will see how they do.

My
Wife calls it a ****ing pain in the arse. Lol

Back
Top Bottom