How to set up QT for sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franktobia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My coral beauty has ich and I need a qt tank for him. I need help setting it up though. I was thinking a 20 gallon container from walmart would do the trick for the actual tank portion. I have a spare heater. I was going to tank one of my pumps from my display since i have two in there instead of buying a new one. What else do I need? Should I add live rock or sand? How often do I need to do water changes? Do I need a filter of some sorts?

My coral beauty has ich and I need a qt tank for him. I need help setting it up though. I was thinking a 20 gallon container from walmart would do the trick for the actual tank portion. I have a spare heater. I was going to tank one of my pumps from my display since i have two in there instead of buying a new one. What else do I need? Should I add live rock or sand? How often do I need to do water changes? Do I need a filter of some sorts?

Also if one fish in the tank had it, does that mean all my other fish will end up with it. I know that it will be a pain if I have to get my watchman out to put him in a hospital tank.

You are looking at an empty container with a heater, powerhead, and some PVC elbows for hiding in. You don't use rock or sand as any true ich treatments, hyposalinity or copper based medications, will kill off any bacteria in them and copper will kill any invertebrates that are near that rock again. You will deal with ammonia and nitrite levels via daily water changes.

Back
Top Bottom