how to smash LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple huge hunks of lr which don't look that great (the worst 2 pieces from my hirocks shipment) which I'm thinking of replacing in the display tank. I want to smash them to bits to use as rubble in a future sump. They're about the size of a canteloupe. How can I smash them without powdering them too much or making a huge mess? I was thinkgin maybe wrapping them in towel.. has anyone done this?

I would say wrap them in something and hit it one time and a hammer really hard..Im sure you will shatter some peices that will become mush but one or two good whacks should do it!

If you can wrap it in some canvas or other heavy material you may save yourself from flying fragments. A towel is not quite enough. The rock is quite sharp and tends to cut material. A few good wacks with a hammer or a small sledge will do the trick. And you'll get some rubble for the sump too :) .

I was thinking of doing this too. So is it okay if i put the rubble in my canister filter. Would putting a whole rock in the filter instead be better. My canister filter can hold about a few softball size rocks.

A hammer will work but it will "splatter" it more. If you have some kind of chisel or similar it will break muck easier without the "powder"

Hammer and a chisel or flat head screw driver. I have done this many times. I actually frag some large colonies this way :)

Back
Top Bottom