How to speed up a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cycled 14g but I want to cycle a 38g how would I do that

Hi you can use products such as filter start and aqua safe which will speed up the cycle. I find that it's fine as long you are not planning on putting expensive fish in the tank. Also fragile fish will probably die. Some people would say a tiny bit of food in the tank speeds it up too but I would suggest not.

If you have a tank that is established you can take some of the filter media out and put it in the new tank then replace new media in the established tank. This will speed things up a little.

What sort of fish are you planning on getting?

I'd go to the store, buy some filter media.. put it in the 14g for a few days.. and then put it in the 38g.. also take some of the substrate out.. I hear that works pretty good =)

I buy the CaribSea Instant Aquarium gravel. I set up two tanks using it. The bacteria is already in the gravel so it cycles super fast. Both my tanks become stable super quick (never had an ammonia spike which felt super weird). All I know is that it's darn good stuff and they do have a variety of types of gravel depending on what you need. I use the Peace River gravel variety. Keep in mind, they sell the gravel with the bacteria and without so you have to order the Instant Aquarium variety. I got mine through Petco online and they had it on sale. It made a huge difference in getting a small five gallon stable.

If the tank is currently unstocked with fish...PLEASE check out the link in my signature. It will save you lots of time and effort, and also save your fish.

It's not stocked and I'm on my I pod so I don't see the sig

Follow the fishless cycle Eco is very smart he wont lead you wrong if you don't do a fishless cycle your putting the fish at harm and things will go so much smoother if you do it fishless.

You don't need any of those chemicals they don't work half the time pure ammonia works the best.

Cdepriest6009 said:
Follow the fishless cycle Eco is very smart he wont lead you wrong if you don't do a fishless cycle your putting the fish at harm and things will go so much smoother if you do it fishless.

You don't need any of those chemicals they don't work half the time pure ammonia works the best.

Thanks for the support :). If only I could hire you to help back me up in some of these other threads I'm in now, lol.

eco23 said:
Thanks for the support :). If only I could hire you to help back me up in some of these other threads I'm in now, lol.

I accept checks and cash and always use the extra money I have had my eye on a bigger tank lol.

Cdepriest6009 said:
I accept checks and cash and always use the extra money I have had my eye on a bigger tank lol.

Set up a Paypal and I'll link a thread to you right now, lol. Just kidding. Sometimes it gets complicated when you try to advocate the importance of fishless cycling and there are differing viewpoints. Thanks again for your support :)

I know I'm really knew but am I the only one thinking to speed up to speed up your fishless just whack your 14 gal filter sponge and put it in you new filter and replace the 14 gal with a new sponge as it's already cycling ???

JoeDaniels said:
I know I'm really knew but am I the only one thinking to speed up to speed up your fishless just whack your 14 gal filter sponge and put it in you new filter and replace the 14 gal with a new sponge as it's already cycling ???

That's a great solution, but the concern is if you remove too much media from a cycled tank it can unstabilize it and cause a mini-cycle in the old one. Used filter media is absolutely the best source for seeding material, but just don't remove too much at once.

eco23 said:
That's a great solution, but the concern is if you remove too much media from a cycled tank it can unstabilize it and cause a mini-cycle in the old one. Used filter media is absolutely the best source for seeding material, but just don't remove too much at once.

Yep just a bit at a time maybe :)

eco23 said:
Set up a Paypal and I'll link a thread to you right now, lol. Just kidding. Sometimes it gets complicated when you try to advocate the importance of fishless cycling and there are differing viewpoints. Thanks again for your support :)

Welcome and I know what you mean

I took both filter pads out and rubbed them together then put them back

Angelfish56 said:
I took both filter pads out and rubbed them together then put them back

That will help a little, but I'd remove maybe 25% of the filter media from the established tank and stick it right next to the new media. You want the seed material to be the first thing the water contacts and have the new media you're trying to establish right behind it. As with anytime you remove media from a tank...watch to make sure you don't have any ammo spikes in the old tank. If you do have any mini-cycles, just do pwc's to keep the ammo level below .25. It will recover quickly in an established aquarium. I wouldn't anticipate any type of problem at all though removing only 25%.

Back
Top Bottom