How to start a Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaBaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a quick question about how to start a Refugium. i have no one around to get a cup of mature sand from. all i have is mine. my set up has been up and running for about a year so i guess my will do.
any other suggestions that might help would be helpful

thanks

we would need to know more about what you have.... any room under the tank? sump or W/D etc....
do a search for fuge or refugium there are a lot of posts about them

I recommend using an Aqua Clear 500 power filter, taking out all of the media, filling it with the sand from your substrate about 2 inches deep and putting in some small pieces of live rock. Within a week it will be crawling.

i just got my refuge on sat and i bought some marine bio sediment i have about 2 1/2 inch in the bottom of my refuge. along with about 3 or 4 pieces live rock. i am going to the richmond race on friday night and i plan to get some plants for my refuge on monday. what type should i buy and what else should i place in my refuge. and help would be helpful.
thanks

i am sorry i should post my tank spec's
55 gallon SW
4x96 watt (w/moon lights) Orbit PC light
2-maxi-jet 1200's
red sea protein skimmer
250 watt heater
hang on back refuge 24"long x4"wide x18"deep
35 pounds of fiji live rock
and about 2" sand bottom
is there any thing else i should buy for my tank to help out?
please let me know.
thanks

i dont use a filter. well i use a skimmer but i dont think that would kill the pods. from what i here there are millions of types of pods and some dont get sucked up into your filter. if you go to www.oceanpods.com there you can get more info. Even what they look like. creepy looking guys they are.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom